The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sad sad sad RUST...shucks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sad sad sad RUST...shucks.
    Posted: 13-November-2019 at 5:55AM
I found basically the only severe rust issue on my 72 GTS. Shucks.....its bad...bad...bad.....frame damage!

What frame/body are Torinos?

See photos...

n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2019 at 6:35AM
Oh man.  That doesn't look good.

'72 is a one year only frame, due to the front frame horns where the bumper mounts.  So, you're looking at a '72 Torino or Montego two door.  It can be either a coupe or the Sport roof / GT.  

You could also use a 73-76 2 door frame, and maybe even a 77-79 Tbird or Cougar, if you're willing and able to replace the front frame horns.  It will require some cutting and welding.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2019 at 7:43AM
There is a thread on this forum about this exact problem!

Any body with a frame piece from that area they dont need?...please let me know, so we can save this GTS.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2019 at 1:25PM
I have a '72 frame I'm going to scrap in Tennessee.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2019 at 6:07PM
i have a pair of those lower rear control arm frame pockets cut out from a frame... looks like yours is rotted forward beyond them too?
 i will have another frame coming up in about a month that i could cut farther forward as much as you needWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2019 at 6:39PM
wow...that would a massive help! I definitely would like to buy a frame-bit from CAJohnny....I will PM.

I will make some measurements today. And take a few more photos.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2019 at 1:10AM
How bad is the rest of the frame?  Do you have any other pics you can post?  If you frame is questionable, it might be worth looking at an entire frame replacement if you are willing to pay the overseas shipping.  Both Joe (unlovedford) and CaliforniaJohnny have frames, it might be worth looking at buying a complete one if you can.  Joe's is a '72 frame, which are harder to come by.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2019 at 5:31AM
I am communicating with Joe...

As far as I can see...the rest of the frame is fine.

I think the car hit a curb during spirited driving and snapped the frame area.....then it rusted......see piictures...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2019 at 5:32AM
another picture.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2019 at 5:33AM
another picture....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2019 at 5:35AM
the inner side......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2019 at 9:30AM
Joe..please check your pm....thanks...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2019 at 6:42PM
check everything back there for rust! (other side too) i suspect salt damage... looking at this pic here i see pitting and the brakeline? has a brass splice in it (the brass coupler) there could be more spots rotted soon to break???

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2019 at 12:54PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

check everything back there for rust! (other side too) i suspect salt damage... looking at this pic here i see pitting and the brakeline? has a brass splice in it (the brass coupler) there could be more spots rotted soon to break???

I agree with John.  I would go over that frame really thoroughly before you invest in ordering frame sections to fix it.  From the pics you posted it looks pretty rusted all over.  Make sure it solid, boxed frames can rust worst inside.  Take a hammer and make sure it's solid.

Are you planning on pulling the body of the frame soon?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2019 at 1:51PM
I'd hate to sell you something that won't completely cure the issue. I have a couple of those complete frames, but shipping to Denmark would be a nightmare.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2019 at 2:45PM
I have been hammering and poking the frame all over. It is quite solid. Just that area is bad. The frame must have ‘snapped/cracked’ in that area.....and then rusted. The car had sunk ‘left rear end low’ into the ground...of course making things worse.

Anyway...I hope Joe can help me with his frames. I am on the case.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2019 at 5:55PM
sunk in the dirt in that area would do it!
 if joe don't send a section, let me know ... if you only need the one side i can cut a section out of one of the 2 parts cars instead of the pair of pocket sections i have already cut (they are cut close the the edges of the pockets)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2019 at 5:47AM
cajohnny...awesome...please send pictures to my email. Check pm.

I am still communicating with Joe....Joe please check your emailTongue
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2019 at 10:30AM
 i pm'd you and sent a couple pics to your email i can cut you a good section from the orange car, its still together but i can cut that section out i don't think i'll have to move that car... a guy is coming to buy the "Q" code from it in the next 2 weeks and the spindles are going to allan soon so i can cut that frame section out if you want it for sure?!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2019 at 11:32AM
John...lets do this. Thanks. Check email.

What do you guys do for trunk pans/floors? I cant seem to find any for 1972 year...........

Mytrunk is actually fine ...just a small 5cm rust crack....definitely fixable with patch...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2019 at 6:57PM
got your email! nobody makes proper pans for these carsCry mustang patch pans can be retrofitted for the floor or cut from parts cars... trunk pans ...parts cars or fabricateConfused

Edited by californiajohnny - 17-November-2019 at 1:14PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2019 at 1:08PM

John is right, the Mustang floors are the best solution for floor pans, other than finding used.  Read this below about the Mustang pans.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2019 at 5:33PM
CAJohnny helped me out awesomely. He was able to cut a frame piece.
I will keep you all posted on progress with this issue.
This frame piece will SAVE my Torino!

Edited by Anderslober - 24-November-2019 at 6:04PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2019 at 6:07PM
 Wink you bet! it was a pain to do with the body still on the frame Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2019 at 1:27PM
I am glad you were able to get your frame section.  John is a top notch guy and has helped tons of people on here.  Thumbs Up
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply