The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R&R Carpet & Front Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R&R Carpet & Front Seats
    Posted: 12-December-2019 at 8:41AM
Car: '69 Cobra 2-Door w/ bucket seats.

Greetings,

Any estimates on how difficult it should be to remove seats & carpet for a 1st timer?  And once out, replace/reinstall with new carpet & seat covers?

I am *guessing* 10 hrs to remove, and at least triple that to reinstall?

========================

Also, without breaking any forum rules, can anyone suggest a Vendor for carpets/seat covers?

========================

I appreciate any estimates, opinions or suggestions - thanks & Merry Christmas!
'69 Torino 2 -Door Coupe
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2019 at 11:42AM
Dearborn may have everything you need. Not sure how long a process it would be to get all the old stuff out. Californiajohnny will be along shortly. Plan on getting  somegood  insulation under the new rug, it is well worth the effort although it might make it more difficult to get it done easily.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2019 at 11:44AM
Cande Custom in Geneva Alabama is the only vendor I can think of offhand mainly because Carl is a mod on this board. Look him up on Facebook. I bet he can help.
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2019 at 12:51PM
Del,

Removal of the seats is pretty straight forward.  Each front seat has 4 mounting studs through the floor and nuts on the underside to remove and the seats lift out.  Keep the mounting parts for each stud organized as they are a bit different.  If you have rust issues , you might have to replace seat track support brackets on the underside.  The rear seat bottom pad is a friction fit and can be loosened by pushing in (towards the back of car) on the front bottom to detach the frame from clip and then tilt it back to remove.  There are 2 screws on back pad frame bottom that are exposed when the bottom pad is out.  It helps to remove the rear armrests to buy some room.  If you have a console there are 3 sheet metal screws on the bottom of each side.  For the carpet, seat belts have to come out with a Torx bit to remove.  New Jute padding is available on line.  I did Eastwoods X-liner (like Duramat ) as well.  I have a post post with some pics on the site I had mentioned to you via e-mail.

I was able to reuse my carpet and only had to repair a panel on one seat and I used a local upholstery guy for that, so no experience with new carpet or installing seat covers.  A good source for parts on our cars is Macs.  I can't vouch for the quality on these particular items, though I have used Macs on other stuff and they are pretty good.  My understanding is most of the reproduction items for our cars are made by one or 2 places depending on what it is and then those get marketed by many other places.

As noted Dearborn (https://www.dearbornclassics.com/) and Ecklers are good sources too.  I think they are all owned by the same conglomerate now.

Good Luck,
Dave

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2019 at 2:04PM
i got my carpet from aadvark motors on ebay they get it from ACC carpet they make most all of the carpets now i think??? i got many other items from macs...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2019 at 1:39AM
what dave(schufitz) said.  you will also have to remove the kick plates, the kick panels and the rear side panels (beside the back seat) because the carpet has to go under these pieces.  put some insulation/noise deadener under the carpet before you reinstall.  i used some stuff from home depot that is the same thing as the high dollar sound deadener and it is alot, ALOT cheaper.  

iirc, i got my carpet from dearborn/macs.  i dont know if anyone besides macs is making it though.

you can also buy repopped kick plates from dearborn now, too

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Del Griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2020 at 1:23AM
Seats & Carpet are out and I'm please to find very solid bottom & build sheet.

OEM pads are clean & dry so I'll just reuse them.

'69 Torino 2 -Door Coupe
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2020 at 3:32AM
wow Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2020 at 9:26AM
i wished my floor pans looked like that. Cry Paul
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2020 at 4:17PM
WOW!!!  Very nice!  Must've been a western or desert car.  Black Jade car?  Curious on the build plant  (2nd VIN digit).  I don't think mine was ever apart before I had it, but it didn't have the padding on top of the thick tar paper type undelrlayment.  Maybe it was (?)

Edited by schufitz - 11-February-2020 at 4:22PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2020 at 5:50PM
Added bonus, build sheets. Nice.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2020 at 11:37PM
The floors look it great shape!  Thumbs Up
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2020 at 2:38AM
Nice suicide knob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2020 at 2:01AM
Yes, Black Jade
CA all its life
2 digit R - San Jose
That's a horn button, part of the Rim Blow-Deluxe Steering Wheel package

ACC 80/20 carpet (from Rockauto). 

I laid the carpet in last night and it sure seems like there's way to much material at the end (rear) of the trans hump which worries me a bit.  To clarify, it seems like they molded for a much bigger trans - so right now its not laying flat (puffed up).

I called ACC to inquire, but no answer yet.

Edited by Del Griffith - 13-February-2020 at 2:39AM
'69 Torino 2 -Door Coupe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2020 at 5:03AM
Have you tried to steam the area and weight it down? A sand bag would do the trick.
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2020 at 3:54PM
"Yes, Black Jade
CA all its life
2 digit R - San Jose
That's a horn button, part of the Rim Blow-Deluxe Steering Wheel package"

Thanks Del.  

The horn button looks like a fix from a PO as not that way from factory.  The contact ribbons in the rim blows deteriorate over time from what I have heard and they probably added that to have a horn.  

I'm kinda partial to black jade as that's what mine is. Smile

Love the chameleon effect it has in different light 

Any pics of your ride?

Dave

Edited by schufitz - 13-February-2020 at 4:04PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2020 at 6:42AM
I am starting to believe that I have carpet for a counsel shift while I have a column shift.  This could be the difference??

Dave - Black Jade is something else, 2 different colors.  The Marti report lists the Rim Blow-Deluxe Steering Wheel package, so I can only assume the horn button is part of said pkg because there is no place for a horn ring on the deluxe wheel. That said, I am not sure if it's offical OEM - so are there any others with the deluxe wheel to weight in??  I will post pics after paint (which is God knows when at this point).

Edited by Del Griffith - 14-February-2020 at 6:51AM
'69 Torino 2 -Door Coupe
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2020 at 1:21PM
looks like one of those cheap add on horn buttons to me? i was going to mention i think that is a floor shift carpet
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2020 at 2:06PM
Do they list each carpet? 
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2020 at 3:20PM
There are contacts under the rubber on the inside of the wheel.  Squeezing that made the electrical contact for horns to go off.  The button is no doubt a home fix.   They even make a repro tag that would have been on it when taking delivery since it was a new novelty.

Edited by schufitz - 14-February-2020 at 3:32PM
 Post Reply Post Reply