The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

69 dash into 71 Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8boss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 dash into 71 Torino
    Posted: 07-January-2020 at 6:20AM
Random question, does anyone know if the 68,69 Torino dashes will fit into a71? I much prefer the look of the older style with the three pods, rather than the strip style one, and was thinking of changing it if they are a bolt in unit
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2020 at 3:36PM
welcome! i'm not real familiar with the earlier cars, but maybe someone here will have an answer for you???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
NeillNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeillNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2020 at 3:23PM
Hi V8boss, 

Neill from NZ here.  I am not intimate with these cars but I produce printed circuits for them(they are manufactured in Auckland).

I doubt the instrument clusters can be swapped out.  See these photos, the plastic body one is 1970-1971, the pressed metal type is a 1968-1969.

Perhaps the entire dash assembly can be swapped over, I just don't know.

V8boss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8boss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2020 at 7:07PM
thanks Neil, I’m familiar with your work through the Aussie ford  forum page, although I didn’t know you’d branched out into other stuff too😀. I was hoping someone had swapped the complete dash, not just the clusters as I find them really bland , whereas the earlier dashes are very cool. So far it’s not looking good😒. Might have to do something custom as my cluster is pretty stuffed
V8boss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V8boss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2020 at 7:07PM
I’m in Auckland too, small world!
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2020 at 3:01PM
V8,
Interesting idea!  Smile  There are actually 4 pods on the 68/69 dash.  The far right was a clock or just a blank face.  It might fit physically as both are uni-body construction and they seem to have the same holes for the switches & radio in the lower dash, also the 68/69 key is in the dash where they went to the column 70 on.  Wiring would probably be a nightmare requiring a custom made harness and aftermarket gauges.  The HVAC controls are also way different as well.  68/69 knobs are kind of hidden under dash pad bottom in front of the radio and 70/71 has a panel in the cluster itself with the controls.

Edited by schufitz - 15-January-2020 at 3:06PM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2020 at 12:45AM
The 68-69 assembly will fit in Falcons of the same era, wouldn't be surprised if Mustang was swappable too.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply