The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lower front control arms 72 GTS.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower front control arms 72 GTS.
    Posted: 26-January-2020 at 11:13AM
Hello forum. Whay are these control arms for the 72GTS so expensive? What is so special about them?

I will refurb my cars` arms. But, it would have been nice to buy some nice new ones.Smile

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 11:48AM
idk probably because there's not a big demand for them and someone had to set up the press dies to stamp them out...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 12:16PM
Like John says, there is little demand for these parts.  I also question how well accurate these are made.  While the 65-78 full frame Fords all used the same basic suspension, Ford did list a number of different part numbers over that time span for the lower control arms.  So there may be some minor differences.  Plus if these are reproduction parts, the quality might be questionable, especially if they are made offshore.

Personally, I think you are better off to blast and powder coat the OEM arms. That's what I did with mine and they came out better than new.  At least we know the originals weren't some offshore cheapies.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 12:40PM
Thanks. I thought a lot of Fords used that part. No worries. I will save the original arms. I just finished sanding, painting and re-bushing the rear lower control arms.

I have ordered all new shocks, springs, bushings and front end kit. Also brakes/calipers.

My frame damage is soon to be rectified to. ( I need a pro welder for that).
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2020 at 12:27PM
There were lots of Fords that used these arms.  Like I said, all the full frame cars from 1965-78 used them (and some 1979s).  That's a lot of cars.  It's just that not many of them are popular for restoration.  Most Fords that are popular for restoration are the unibody based cars, like the Mustangs, Falcons and early Torinos/Fairlanes.

What did you end up ordering for springs?  Your car has competition suspension doesn't it?
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2020 at 3:32PM
Regarding springs......I ordered from Rockauto......Are the springs special for competition suspension?Shocked

The part numbers I ordered are; acdelco 45h0022 and Moog cc801. Let me know if I messed that up!Ouch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2020 at 4:37PM
Well..of course I messed up. Nothing new there!Confused I found the huge `spring thread` and found out that springs for competition suspension arent available. The rear springs(cc801) are probably way to soft. I will install and see how it goes. If it is iffy handling_wise.....WHICH springs are the best alternative to the originals? I just want stock ride height....nothing fancy. Thanks
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2020 at 11:50PM
I went with CC 803 station wagon springs and a rear sway bar. Up front got CVPI springs. I then used good quality heavy duty shocks all around. I'm happy with that set up.
Steve M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2020 at 2:19AM
ok..moog cc803......I found some similar acdelco`s....way cheaper...45H3021.....slightly higher rating too. I think I will go with them. I will use KYB gas-adjust all-round....

The front springs are acdelco 45H0022.....acdelco all-round then...maybe some benefit of symbiosis!!

All bushings will be changed....Moogs. I will report back once I drive the car.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2020 at 8:35AM
I'm running KYB Exel-G all the way around
No complaints. 
Steve M.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2020 at 12:16PM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

ok..moog cc803......I found some similar acdelco`s....way cheaper...45H3021.....slightly higher rating too. I think I will go with them. I will use KYB gas-adjust all-round....

The front springs are acdelco 45H0022.....acdelco all-round then...maybe some benefit of symbiosis!!

All bushings will be changed....Moogs. I will report back once I drive the car.

The AC Delco 45H0022 springs are the softest springs offered by the aftermarket for a '72 Torino.  They were only rated at 282 inch.lbs, which is far less than a competition suspension spring (between 490 and 546).  These are equivalent to Moog part number 8166.  These springs will make the car ride very softly and expect worse than original handling.

Keep in mind all aftermarket springs, regardless of brand, are all the same parts.  So an AC Delco spring that cross references with a Moog spring will have the exact same specs. So don't think you need to match AC Delco with AC Delco.

There is no aftermarket spring that is the same as the factory competition spec springs.  Eaton spring could make some with the original specs, but the easiest solution is to use Moog 80090 springs from a late 90's Crown Victoria Police car.  These are what many members, myself included, use on these cars to get decent handling.  They are stiffer than the competition springs, but still ride okay. You will have to cut about 1/2 coil off though to get a factory type stance.

Read through these threads, there is a lot of really good info. 

I have summarized all of the specs on OEM springs and aftermarket springs here.  Read all the posts if you have time.  See below:

Keep in mind any of those 1972-79 springs will work in your car.

Also look at this thread, to see how cars actually sit with the springs.  You will see there are a high numbers of people using Moog 80090 front springs.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2020 at 12:40PM
wow...I managed to buy a complete spring that I cant use! Shucks...will sell`em. Funny thing is, I did read this whole thread!
Ok...moog 80090....will buy a pair.

The acdelco has almost the same Load bearing as the Moog.....just not the same lbs/in rating......correct?

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2020 at 2:25PM
The AC/Delco 45H0022 springs are the same as Moog 8166.  They have the same specs.  All the aftermarkets springs cross reference to one another and have the same specs.  If you have trouble cross referencing a part number, let me know and I can do it for you.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
erob909 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erob909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2020 at 3:12PM
How can I get a tighter suspension ride than these original "Cadillac"-like springs that the Torino came with?  Do you know of any part numbers of shocks and springs that may fit and get a resulting sportier handling?  I'm new to this area of mechanics so any guidance would be very much appreciated.  

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2020 at 11:14AM
Originally posted by erob909 erob909 wrote:

How can I get a tighter suspension ride than these original "Cadillac"-like springs that the Torino came with?  Do you know of any part numbers of shocks and springs that may fit and get a resulting sportier handling?  I'm new to this area of mechanics so any guidance would be very much appreciated.  

I run '99 Ford Lightning front springs (Moog 80100)on my '79, after cutting them to what I wanted they have roughly 1000lb spring rate. I tried big Lincoln and big Cadillac front springs but the F150/Lightning springs have a .813" bar, the others were "only" .755" With the weight of the front end and the BB/C6 combo the ride is surprisingly good even with short sidewall 245/40/20's.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2020 at 12:44AM
Originally posted by erob909 erob909 wrote:

The base suspension on these cars were excessively soft. Heavy Duty was better and Competition was the best from the factory. 

Today we have better choices, like Moog 80090 Crown Victoria Police car springs or Todd's suggestion of the truck springs. We have a ton of spring info, including part numbers in this thread here. 

Read through it and it should help you make the correct choice. We also have a coil spring stance thread in that section to show how cars sit with different spring combinations.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 06-March-2020 at 1:36AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 3:38AM
Hey All,
 Is anyone aware of aftermarket Front Lower control arms with a more modern tubular design that is direct bolt on?  Not looking to build a race car or anything just looking to upgrade my street car if can find an affordable upgrade. 

I checked macsautoparts.com for factory stock replacement lower arms, but they did not list any lower control arms for a 72 and up Gran Torino. 

I found these new stock replacement selling on ebay and wondering if anyone has purchased and installed these?  Are they of equal strength as our old factory pieces? 

72 GTS sportsroof, original survivor
72 GTS formal, parted
96 Tbird 4.6, 18k org mi
13 Stang 5.0 6spd
rtgreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 4:45AM
These are pricy, but it allows you to swap to coilovers.

http://pmtfabrication.com/product/1965-1968-ford-galaxie-front-control-arm-kit
72 Gran Torino Sport Q 4spd in Light Pewter Metallic

2012 Mustang GT (Brembo) 5.0, 6MT, 3.55s

1995 Bronco - 5.0 5spd.

mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2022 at 12:40PM
Very fancy! 

If your not planning on racing or extreme driving, I think the stock arms are up to the task.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2022 at 1:14AM
Originally posted by rtgreen rtgreen wrote:

These are pricy, but it allows you to swap to coilovers.

http://pmtfabrication.com/product/1965-1968-ford-galaxie-front-control-arm-kit

Holy hell those r expensive (and totally awesome).  Those are more more of a gas monkey garage budget and I’m more like a roadkill garage budget. Haha 
72 GTS sportsroof, original survivor
72 GTS formal, parted
96 Tbird 4.6, 18k org mi
13 Stang 5.0 6spd
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2022 at 7:21AM
Hotchkiss, but, MINGIA they are expensive.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2022 at 1:14PM
Ouch those are mighty high. I've got plans for a new aftermarket suspension for my 92 Lincoln, and the Maximum Motorsports entire kit is close to that price. For just four new control arms, I'll pass.

I installed Delrin bushings into my stock UCA's ages ago, after smoothing all of the rough edges and painting them first. I likely won't really need those soon, not knowing what the front suspension is like in my 1973 donor truck.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
 Post Reply Post Reply