The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford steering box replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74GranTorino4dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford steering box replacement
    Posted: 26-January-2020 at 12:47PM
Hey guys as with these labors of love theres always something else. I noticed a pretty strong leak from the steering box and its coming from i guess the output seal. The box is leaking on the bottom. The poor mans approach had me adding powersteering fluid until it got milky. The other day it was cold enough the moisture froze within the power steering pump preventing it from spinning. I went to start it today seeing as it was in the 40s and the pump started turning again. I know its milky from air and water may or may not have been why the pump locked up. But above 32 outside it was spinning just fine. I believe a seal to be bad on the box. Ive looked around and am considering just doing a manual steering gear. I dont need to parallel park so not to worried. With that being said on a 74 what steering gear bolts in there? Will the mounts be the same manual vs ps? And what boxes have worked for you all? Im not opposed to the rebuild kit its simply id rather replace the whole unit. Id free up space under the hood too giving up the pump and my ac components with the manual box. Just trying to find an easy solution to it all im sure none of us have deeeeep pockets. Dave.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 12:55PM
 i think some were available with manual streeing, IIRC joe's red wagon is manual i'd assume they mount the same? you may need the intermediate shaft to go with the manual box?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2020 at 12:24PM
Yes, they made these cars with manual steering. You can still get the manual boxes, Lares 8922 is a manual box.  It will swap in place of a power box.  You can also just buy another power steering box.  Rock Auto lists that manual box as well as a number of power boxes.

Here is a thread where a member put a manual box in his car from Cancraft.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
74GranTorino4dr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74GranTorino4dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2020 at 6:15AM
Update! So I found a soild steering box off of a 1969 ltd and have since switched the pitman arms. The original pitman arm has a grease fitting which I chose to keep. The ltd arm didnt have one. That being said the pitman arm was on my torino before. Now im all the way through the reassembly and ive run into a new problem. It seems like the pitman arm wont seat properly. Everythings kosher where it needs to be but the castle nut wont go far enough down to accomodate the cotter pin. Ive used a pry bar to attempt to get some more shaft for the nut but it wont give anymore. It feels like the castle nut won't go any further. I know id feel real good with the pin in there. How can i get that castle nut on more? Like i said this is the arm that was on the car before. There was no cotter pin there in the disassembly. 
74GranTorino4dr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74GranTorino4dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2020 at 6:38AM
Would the castle nut back itself off and would i risk the pitman arm coming out? I spoke to a technition and he said that they dont always have cotter pins, the tapered part isnt supposed to seat inside the drag link and because the spindle points upward its unlikely itll just all come apart. Thoughts? Is that a load of bs ?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2020 at 9:40AM
Which part of the pitman arms is not seating?  I am assuming you mean the arm into the center link?  You definitely want a castle nut and cotter pin there.  If all other parts except the steering box are the same, I'd suspect the new box is the problem.  It may not be allowing the pitman arm to seat properly.  

Is this new box a manual steering box?  It may require a different pitman arm.  You'd have to check the parts catalog.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2020 at 11:42AM
Sounds like the diameter is incorrect. I ran into that on my gold car when I swapped to a 1978 setup with a Lares 841 fast ratio box. Yes, my red wagon did have a manual box and it was painfully slow (like 6 turns lock to lock).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2020 at 11:59AM
Maybe get a new pitman arm for the original vehicle it was installed in?  I wohldn't screw around and jeapordize your life over a $15 part. Rock Auto probably has one with zerk fitting. I am assuming you replaced the seals already.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2020 at 1:16PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Sounds like the diameter is incorrect. I ran into that on my gold car when I swapped to a 1978 setup with a Lares 841 fast ratio box. Yes, my red wagon did have a manual box and it was painfully slow (like 6 turns lock to lock).

My quick ratio Saginaw is 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns lock to lock and once used to it I thought I wouldn't mind a 2 turn L2L steering gear, I couldn't even image driving with 6 turns L2L, be getting calluses just parking the damn thing LOL
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2020 at 7:02PM
normally if it has a zerk it's been replaced but most 60's cars had them. check the diameter of the taper, thickness of the piece the taper goes into, distance from the taper to the threads and cotter pin hole, sounds like something if slightly different! how close is the cotter pin from going into the nut? if the taper is tight normally it's hard to remove but i wouldn't trust it without a cotter pin!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2020 at 12:22AM
Todd, to make matters worse, it had that thin plastic base Torino wheel. Was better when I installed the Sport wheel, but then I installed a PS box without the pump for a few trips. Faster ratio, but man, it was tough to steer at low speeds with 8 inch rims up front and 55 series tires, lol.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
EvilScientistMoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilScientistMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 2:18PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Sounds like the diameter is incorrect. I ran into that on my gold car when I swapped to a 1978 setup with a Lares 841 fast ratio box.

Did you resolve this problem with the correct pitman arm?
 Post Reply Post Reply