The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission doesn’t fit—

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission doesn’t fit—
    Posted: 17-March-2020 at 5:16AM
Ok, so I’m doing my reading, I guess the trans was swapped when the 429 was dropped into my project somewhere in its past.  So, I guess the trans behind the 429 is not going to be compatible with my 351c ( which is what the car originally left the factory with). I have a 351c that I obtained, on my engine stand.  But I guess I need to start looking for the right trans.  I guess C4 is the way to go, I’m not beefing things up like crazy, so probably don’t need C6.  What are thoughts on the FMX?  I have one that is supposed to go in my ‘69 Torino GT, but looking at possibilities and general info at this point.  Installing any trans is a long way off.....
Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2020 at 5:24AM
The 351 C c6 had the small block bell housing pattern.
C4 is a good tranny for a stock 351 C. The FMX will work good with a stock engine.
If you beef up the engine then you should build up the FMX and C4 to handle the extra power or just find a stock C-6. They were build with a torque rating of 500 foot lb's stock. Doesn't hurt anything to add a shift kit to it.
Greg
Greg
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2020 at 11:04AM
thanks
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2020 at 11:06AM
You are welcome.
Greg
Greg
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2020 at 11:11AM
i'd find a pre-electronic, hydraulic only AOD and upgrade the internals in it

AOD shares physical clutch dimensions with FMX, in between C4 & C6

IIRC benefits are lower 1st and 2nd ratios, and of course OD

one particular to keep in mind when doing any Ford trans swap is the speedo gear on the output shaft, some are machine cut into the shaft and can't be changed. you just need to make sure you can find a speedo driven gear that will make nice with your tire diameter. and you'll be using a throttle pressure cable rather than kickdown, it controls internal line pressure and needs to be adjusted to give a firm shift otherwise the unit will burn itself up from low internal pressure.

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2020 at 11:11PM
If you want factory correct, the automatic Q-codes all left the factory with a C-6.  They were available with multiple bell housings including the small block. The C6 you have would have the large bell housing, for a 385 series, 351M/400.  Between the C4 and FMX, the C4 has much better aftermarket support and can be beefed up considerably stronger than stock.  

I like Rock's idea of the AOD myself.  If they made a large bell housing version, I might have gone for one in my car.

What is the plan for the engine build?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2020 at 11:35PM
my plan is “sort of mostly factory correct-ish”. I don’t have the skill or $ to be totally original.  I want it to look good and run well so I can enjoy it.
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
 Post Reply Post Reply