The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picking up a Montego today.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picking up a Montego today.
    Posted: 22-April-2020 at 5:42AM
Hello. My name is Lextin, I live in El Mirage California and I just bought a 71 Mercury Montego. It is in need of work and I'm hoping to find resources on locating parts. One of my major concerns at the moment if finding a replacement for the drivers window. The car is a two door notchback. I'll probably make a dedicated post later, but I'm mainly wanting to know what other vehicles would have compatible glass: Comet, torino, etc... any help would be apreciated.

Thanks. Lextin

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2020 at 3:25PM
Welcome aboard Lextin! I upgraded you to a full member, so upload some pictures of your Montego.

The door glass will interchange with a 1970 to 1971 Torino, as it's basically the same car. You need to make sure it's a formal roof car though as the fastback and convertibles used different glass. Dearborn lists glass for your car:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2020 at 9:45PM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2020 at 2:51AM
Welcome, always happy to see other Montegos on here.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2020 at 6:58AM
Hey JT did you get my message about having some Montego sheet metal for your 73?
JackC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2020 at 9:06AM
Welcome Lextin!!
pointfiftytracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2020 at 6:58PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. It did take me an extra day to get the car home as the trailer I was going to borrow fell through. Now that I have it home I can take a closer look at it. A previous owner had installed electronic door latches and removed the door handles. I believe this had something to do with why the window was broken. They had also stuck seats out of a Ford ranger in it for some reason. It's a little rough around the edges, but it should clean up nicely with a little tlc and a lot of elbow grease.
My goal for the time being is to get it running and make it a bit more presentable. Doing the bodywork and interior can come later. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2020 at 7:22PM
I just found this old listing for it. Can't find a date on the listing though. Looks like it was in a lot better shape then. 
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 2:44AM
Welcome!  Looks Nice and solid.  Love that back seat.  It's a shame they removed the front.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 5:54AM
Thumbs Up  Looks like solid car! What are your plans, besides fixing the side glass?  I agree with Jeff, that back seat is cool.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 9:15AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Thumbs Up  Looks like solid car! What are your plans, besides fixing the side glass?  I agree with Jeff, that back seat is cool.

I actually got it for my sister. She kept saying she wanted a pre smog car and when I found this, on her birthday no less I h
a to jump on it. I want to get it drivable so she can daily it if her Oldsmobile gives up the ghost. Body work and making it look pretty will be more of a long term goal. 

The back seat is in perfect condition along with the door panels. The dash pad and head liner need replaced. Again, that will come with time. Depending on what she wants, I may put the shifter back on the column. I also want to see about adding air-conditioning, as it never had it from the factory. It's lifted in the rear, so I might stick some bigger tires under it to fill the space better. I don't care too much about performance (she's not going to be racing it) so I'll probably keep the drivetrain stock. If I ever do paint it it'll stay the same color, but I'll lose the vinyl top. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 2:57PM
Over the weekend I'm going to be working on the Oldsmobile. Gotta figure out if it needs a new fuel pump or if it's just a wiring issue. I really want to get work on the Montego, but the olds is a higher priority. I also need to get my own truck ready for smog as that's due in two months. It's going to be torture staring at this thing not able to work on it. If I loose my resolve I may pull the engine sometime this weekend. Get it on a stand so I can go through it. There's a chance that it was rebuilt when they put the transmission in, about 600 miles ago. Fingers crossed that it's in good shape. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 3:39PM
truck? that C10 looks like a 69 or 70 ( i have a 70 C10Wink) that should be pre emissions!! PCV should be all that was required...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 4:39PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

truck? that C10 looks like a 69 or 70 ( i have a 70 C10Wink) that should be pre emissions!! PCV should be all that was required...

That truck belongs to my dad, who is in the picture. I used it to tow the Montego because my truck is too small.  I drive a 98 Ranger. 

The C10 is a 72.

Edited by pointfiftytracer - 24-April-2020 at 4:49PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 6:08PM
oh ok, 1x4 LOL i love it! Joshua trees... reminds me of where i lived in calif. looks like you're out by victorville? i'm originally from littlerock.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2020 at 7:31PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

oh ok, 1x4 LOL i love it! Joshua trees... reminds me of where i lived in calif. looks like you're out by victorville? i'm originally from littlerock.

Yeah. I put the sticker on when I still had a stock rear end. After I put an 8.8 LSD in, I couldn't bring myself to peel it off. 
I am by Victorville, right next to the El Mirage lakebed. The Montego actually came from Littlerock.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2020 at 5:10AM
no kidding oh wow
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2020 at 6:02AM
Montego looks good!  Feel free to start a project thread so we can watch the build.  
Vince

GTS.org Admin
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2020 at 2:35PM
Originally posted by Gold73 Gold73 wrote:

Hey JT did you get my message about having some Montego sheet metal for your 73?
I didn't get the notification, but just answered, thanks!
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2020 at 3:20PM
Far out - yes bring that Merc back to it's former glory!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Truckyeah1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truckyeah1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2020 at 3:43AM
hello I am brand new to the forum. So I cannot post pictures yet however I have a 1973 Mercury Montego that I am selling for parts as the rust is beyond my skill. But it has all the glass if you are interested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointfiftytracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2020 at 4:10PM
Originally posted by Truckyeah1 Truckyeah1 wrote:

hello I am brand new to the forum. So I cannot post pictures yet however I have a 1973 Mercury Montego that I am selling for parts as the rust is beyond my skill. But it has all the glass if you are interested

I appreciate the offer, but 73 glass won't fit a 70 as far as I'm aware. The body style had some significant changes between those years. 
71TorinoRagtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71TorinoRagtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 9:54AM
Very cool! Brings back some memories. My wife and I had a 1971 Montego MX in the ‘90’s. Gold with brown top and interior, solid vinyl not the cloth inserts like you have there. They look cool.
Torinoaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinoaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 6:35AM
Very cool! Never seen one in person.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2020 at 7:19PM
A classmate in shop had one with a 429. Always liked that car. NJ i sold him interceptor heads from a 460 that I reworked the ports on for $25. He never used them. He went to the dark side and is a mopar guy now. Heads were either sold with the car or scrapped. More pics please.

Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply