The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1971 Torino driveshaft length

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTorino71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Torino driveshaft length
    Posted: 29-April-2020 at 12:23PM
hello, does anyone know the length from ujoint to ujoint of the driveshaft for a 1971 Torino with a 429 c6 and 9 inch rear end?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2020 at 1:18PM
Welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately I don't have that measurement for your, but maybe one of our 1970-71 Big Block Torino or Montego owners can make the measurement for you.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2020 at 3:41PM
shaft length will depend upon which pinion flange you have

IIRC i've seen shaft length info in factory manuals ... ?
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2020 at 8:14PM
welcome!
 do you have the slip yoke for the tranny? and is the rearend in the car? if so you can take a measurement fairly easily to figure the u-joint center length you're asking about...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
CTorino71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTorino71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2020 at 1:57AM
I misused that, but I still have the old 8in rear end and not the 9in. 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2020 at 12:47AM
That is an odd combo of parts as the factory only made the 429 cars with 9 inch rears. Your best bet is to do John's method and take a actual measurement with the transmission installed.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2020 at 7:04AM
FWIW i don't trust and rightfully so the flange to output shaft or flange to seal measuring method.

i'm still smoked over my brand new never been used too short drive shaft they built me using their Censored method. $250+ and too short for me to sleep at night. a little over 1/2 yoke engagement on the output shaft. intended for a C6 it's even shorter when i swapped to the Toploader

for the most accurate measurement, set the slip yoke as far in as it will go

a) jack the car and set the frame on stands, let the suspension hang. measure C-C of caps

b) remove springs and jack the axle to full compression. measure C-C of caps

c) measure center of travel C-C of caps

d) measure 1/2 way between full compression and center of travel C-C of caps

e) measure 1/2 way between full droop and center of travel C-C of caps

you now have 5 measurements that map the arc of the rear axle through it's travel, where is the shaft the shortest? maybe even take another 2 measurements 1/2 way from the shortest point you found by the 5 points and the next closest both directions. you want to find the shortest possible shaft length, then subtract your desired safety distance for the slip yoke so it doesn't contact the output shaft. 1" is a mile, i'd go 1/2" maybe 3/4" max from known minimum shaft length.

pull the slip yoke out to your safety distance, set the axle to the minimum shaft length position and double check your calculation C-C of caps, order shaft. on a budget and i always am, hit the 'yard and buy a shaft longer than what you need and get it cut & balanced. i found an alloy shaft from a dodge 1500 2wd truck and swapped the yoke & new joints from my too short shaft IIRC
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2020 at 7:07AM
for leaf springs you may need to fill the trunk with rocks to get them to full compression

or figure something out, most guys just measure at ride height and figure 1" for safety distance
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2020 at 3:01PM
i would figure 3/4 - 1" back from the slip yoke bottomed out. if your yoke is not cleaned spotless... you should see the line between clean and oxidized that would be the normal running spot of the seal! slide it in to that point then take your C to C measurement  with the car on stands under the axle Wink   this is why i asked if he had the yoke
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply