The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBF Driveline upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBF Driveline upgrade
    Posted: 12-May-2020 at 8:58PM
Hey fellas been a while but I wanted to post some upgrades that I'm getting done fairly soon. 

I have a friend in Colorado named Rick Stanton who is currently finishing up an engine build for me. I do not know allllllll the specs but it is a 429 Super Cobra Jet. He recently sent me pictures of the build completed, and ready to be Dyno-ed. Once he gets that done I'll post the build sheet..
For right now here are some pictures of the complete engine.
I know it's gonna sound blasphemous but I'm not a huge fan of the blue. Always told myself I'd want my engine to be black, so he painted it black for me. 
Next thing I'm in the market for are power steering and ac brackets. If any one out there has a line on anything I'd appreciate if you could let me know. He told me anything from a 70's 460 would work. Again everyone thanks again for all the help with the monstrosity of a project that my pops feels is starting to be a money pit. But hey I've had the car 22 years bout time she gets these much needed upgrades. 

hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 2:10AM
y’all are making me feel bad about pulling out the non-original 429 in mine!! I prefer the blue, though......

Looks good:)
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 3:09AM
Sharp looking engine, will love to see the specs on compression, heads and of course power.

Funny you mention that your engine was rebuilt in Colorado. The 521 in my 75 Sport also came from Colorado - a place called Cars by Carl. He did incredible work, that engine runs like a top. Sadly he does not appear to be in business anymore, and I even think he sold the Montego he had. Not sure what happened.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 5:51AM
I always loved both shades of Ford Blue! I personally think they're better than Chevy and Mopar oranges... but yours looks awesome in black Thumbs Up
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 6:33AM
Thanks. My buddy Rick is originally from So Call. His wife and him moved out to be closer to their daughter. 

He's an amazing builder. Has a 70 ranchero, 72 talledega, an a number of other engines he's built. 

Currently he's working on another boss 429, that he plans on getting 
Dyno-ed back to back with mine. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 13-May-2020 at 1:07PM
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 6:35AM
Thanks. Yeah I don't really like the Chevy or Mopar orange either. 
So I just thought I'd go plain and do black. 
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 6:36AM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

Sharp looking engine, will love to see the specs on compression, heads and of course power.

Funny you mention that your engine was rebuilt in Colorado. The 521 in my 75 Sport also came from Colorado - a place called Cars by Carl. He did incredible work, that engine runs like a top. Sadly he does not appear to be in business anymore, and I even think he sold the Montego he had. Not sure what happened.

Thanks. My buddy Rick is originally from So Call. His wife and him moved out to be closer to their daughter. 

He's an amazing builder. Has a 70 ranchero, 72 talledega, an a number of other engines he's built. 

Currently he's working on another boss 429, that he plans on getting 
Dyno-ed back to back with mine. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 13-May-2020 at 1:06PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 1:04PM
The engine looks good.  I like Ford blue, but I don't mind black. Your Ranchero is really going to haul.  You will have to share the details on the engine build at some point. What are you going to run for a transmission?  What rear gears?   

Your buddy sure builds some nice cars and engines.  That Talledega has a Boss 429 in it - VERY COOL! Thumbs Up
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 5:52PM
i usually paint my engines the same as the car. actually mopar orange looks way better on a chevy than the chevy orange Wink
 but if you think that's crazy.... let me take you back to august 1985... entered my first car show with a v-8 vega i built, painted the engine florescent green!!! with gold moroso valvecovers Big smile tons of people around it all the timeShocked i was hooked on shows ever since! then a few years later i pulled that motor out and it went in the monza and was painted fluorescent pink with clear coat Big smileThumbs Up then after a year it got pulled and built for the blower and is still peach like the whole lower part of the car. that was around 1990 (car is still the same now sitting in my garage)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 6:00PM
that blown ranchero...Shocked daaaammn! what kind of #'s???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 8:25PM

He's got a pinto with a 351c in it. I want to say it's the one in the Dyno video I posted.

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2020 at 3:03AM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

I got some parts for my 521 from Carl. I did the build myself but he balanced the rotating assembly before sending me the parts. He was a big help and the engine is a beast. It's a shame he's not in the business anymore. I'm sure the BBF is a tough market especially now with all the LS hype in the past 5+ years. I hope he's well and successful in wherever he is doing now.
-Billy Conturo
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2020 at 7:13AM
I've known Rick for about 20+ years. 
I helped him and his wife move. We loaded up 2 trucks, small semi's. 
I kid guys not, I moved 20 460 blocks and a variety of cranks, heads, and pistons to match. As well as 5 or 6 BB toploader trannies, and  a few SB engines, parts and toploader trannies.

This man knows his stuff and knows what he has. It's super unreal that I'm getting the engine I'm getting. I'm extremely thankful

Post Reply Post Reply