The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing wiper motor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing wiper motor
    Posted: 17-May-2020 at 4:22PM
In order for the wiper motor to be fully removed from my 78 LTDII (and I'm sure others), there is a part of it inside the cowl that connects to the wiper arm drive. How is this part inside removed from the motor? I have removed the little bolt in the center, but now cannot figure out how it comes off. I can't remove the motor with this attached.
78 LTD II sports touring package (blue), father original owner
67 Mustang (5.0)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ Drag Pack
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 4:44PM
there is a folded-over clip that goes on the end of the shaft. 
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 4:53PM
pop out the plastic cowl screen, on the end of the transmission arm is a clip, with a small screwdriver under the edge of the clip... twist just enough to lift the hooked edge of the clip so it can slide off the end of the shaft, it slides on a groove in the wiper shaft pin the hooked edge keeps it from sliding off if that makes sense?
 then the transmission arm slides off that shaft, remove the 3 small bolts that hold it to the firewall then rotate it as needed to get the motor and drive arm out the firewall hole Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 5:34PM
The manual shows a part that needs a puller to be removed in the exact position it will be installed in. Do all wipers park?
Lizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2020 at 4:07PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

pop out the plastic cowl screen, on the end of the transmission arm is a clip, with a small screwdriver under the edge of the clip... twist just enough to lift the hooked edge of the clip so it can slide off the end of the shaft, it slides on a groove in the wiper shaft pin the hooked edge keeps it from sliding off if that makes sense?
 then the transmission arm slides off that shaft, remove the 3 small bolts that hold it to the firewall then rotate it as needed to get the motor and drive arm out the firewall hole Thumbs Up

Mine looks like it needs an actual puller to remove the transmission arm. There is no clip on it, just a bolt in the center.
78 LTD II sports touring package (blue), father original owner
67 Mustang (5.0)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ Drag Pack
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2020 at 4:20PM
That is the park mechanism I believe. Manual says puller needed and has to go in exactly as it came out.
 Post Reply Post Reply