The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pinto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pinto
    Posted: 28-May-2020 at 3:26AM
It appears no one makes rear shocks for my cw wagon. Any body know how to find length and travel for them. Never should have thrown old ones away.Happens when other half asks why you save all this junk
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2020 at 6:18AM
Short of halving the old ones to measure, you could try to full compress the rear suspension and measure the distance between the shock mounts. That is your minimum compressed length.  Then let the suspension hang and take the same measurement for the extended length.  

Do you know what the difference is between the wagon and sedan suspension?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2020 at 8:39AM
According to pinto club 2.5 in.shorter. It appears the shocks mount to a plate that mounts to the sub frame which I can't find. Probably went with the old shocks when Evonne cleaned garage for me when I was laid up.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2020 at 10:55AM
yes, IIRC they bolt to a triangle shaped plate of the top. i haven't forgot about the sway bar...i'll have to get after sal again! Confused
FWIW i may get a CW for parts if i can catch the people there in town, i'm told no title just want it out of there???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 1:12AM
Looking through all the parts last night,not sure this will ever get done,I keep getting older,
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2020 at 6:47AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

Looking through all the parts last night,not sure this will ever get done,I keep getting older,
Confused i know exactly what you mean Cry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2020 at 1:02PM
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2020 at 1:48PM
thanks. Not sure but 77 uses ears at top and no plate. those listed have stem on both ends. It did give spec though that might help.
 Post Reply Post Reply