The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Oil?
    Posted: 28-June-2020 at 6:18PM
 So after having my fuel pump put fuel in my recent oil change I am getting it done asap. Which oil are you folks using most? Rotella is diesel only now I guess. I am using a synthetic now but have no problem going to non synthetic. Going with T. Meyer's filter adapter and wix filter. Just not sure of oil brand. Some day I will try amsoil.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2020 at 7:48PM
i've used valvoline 20/50 for years, i recently found out the car quest brand is no longer valvoline but amalie now Confused but i'd add some ZDDP or whatever its called for the zinc additive for flat tappet camsWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2020 at 2:30AM
I ran Rotella 10W30 in my engine when it had a flat tappet cam. I don't have to worry about ZDDP anymore though now, as I have a full roller setup.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2020 at 10:39AM
Rotella is still pretty good although it's not what it once was

Lucas Hot Rod & Classic gets good word of mouth reviews around the net

J, gotta watch out for incompatible chemistry when mixing products, oil has taken leaps & bounds since the flat cam fiasco and when GM EOS was the go. insane technology going on now! the Rat540blog tests show that adding a supplement most times results in less wear protection. better to just use a single product rather than practice petroleum engineering without a license

V, 'somebody' suggested that the cam drive gear and dizzy driven gear still may need high pressure protection Shocked

Edited by Rockatansky - 29-June-2020 at 10:57AM
72 GT Ute

Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2020 at 1:16PM
I've had good luck with Royal Purple. I'm running 10:1 compression  and gear drive in my 351W.  Its hot here in Florida, so I  chose my oil weight by my engine temperature running in this heat. 20W-50. When I was in Massachusetts,  10W-40. Its expensive but it seems to be worth it. The change interval for me is 2,000 miles. I  stick with  Motorcraft oil filters and Autolite plugs. 
Steve M.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2020 at 1:20PM
I am currently using Wix HP3001 filter but I bought the nipple from Track Boss that uses a different type of filter. Not sure if I can even use it at this point. Not sure how to renove the filter nipple on the block. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2020 at 1:24PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2020 at 1:26PM
There is no way to grip the piece or to use an allen wrench to remove it. Plus I need a 3/4" allen wrench to install the new nipple in the block assuming it will fit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2020 at 3:24PM
pipe wrench and / or easy out at the same time

for installing the new fitting you can stack a bolt and nut together to make a tool on the cheap

or Hazard Fart
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2020 at 4:34AM
Tim Meyer's oil filter adapter fits all Windsor style engines, 335 Series (Cleveland Family) and 385 Series engines (429, 460)

the oil filter fitting is not considered a user serviceable part by Ford or 99% of everybody else, very few of them have a set of flats at the very bottom and they are still a PITA to remove. other than destructive removal you might try a pair of thin 3/4"-16 jam nuts and lock them together on the threads, turn the first/lower nut with a wrench. try warming the area with a little heat

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/oil-filter-adapter/

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2020 at 7:03AM
Thanks for the info. My oil pressure is fine, I just want to use the better filter. A large threaded rod coupling  should be fine for installing the new adapter. I remember having to make a wrench for the drain plug on an old  (new at the time) Jaguar XJ6 out of a bolt and welding nuts on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply