The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

250-6 swap to 302 V8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250-6 swap to 302 V8
    Posted: 16-January-2009 at 3:35PM
Morning Torino owners,

I am thinking about swaping my 250 6cyl out and hooking up a 302. I have access to 302 with all accessories already fixed on the motor.

If I find a set of correct motor mounts will it position the motor so I will not have to move the C4? Will the throttle and kickdown linkage hook up properly? I have not seen the 302 yet but it is from a late 68 mustang.

other things I have thought of are transmission cooler lines and fuel lines, will these clear without issues?

Thanks for mentioning anything else I might not have thought of.

Oh, and I have a larger radiator already...

=Steve
Mr. Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 7:02AM
I have never done a 6 cylinder to 302 swap in a Torino, but I have done several in other cars. I suggest that you pull the engine and tranny as a single unit as I have done. This is easier if you buy one of those engine lifts that has a threaded rod that allows you to change the center of gravity by turning the rod.

Now take the engine and tranny apart and attach the tranny to the 302. By doing it out of the car, you will have better access to attaching the engine spacer plate, bellhousing, flexplate and trans while standing up rather than laying on your back. At this time, attach your trans cooling lines to the trans and into the clips that hold them in place on the block and pan. Now when you put the engine in the car, the trans will sit where it should and you can then install the trans crossmember. The ones I did had elongated holes to allow for some forward and backward movement to make adjustment easier.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Smile
1971 Torino 500 302 C4
71torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 7:13AM
Thanks for the tips!

More questions;
I have heard that Ford changed the bellhousing for the C4 over the years, you think there will be any problem getting my old trans and the new motor to match up?

I'm also thinking of changing the torque converter, with highway gears (3.00 or taller) any thoughts on what stall speed I should go after? I'm not planning on racing it but a healthy launch is a good thing. Oh, and I have no idea on the hp of the donor motor, basically stock 68 302 with 289 heads with a 2-barrel for now.

Thanks,
Steve
Mr. Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 8:35AM
There were several different styles over the years but each is plentiful and relatively cheap at yards and online.

The HP back then was very low but it was rated at the flywheel where nowadays it is rated at the rear wheels, or visa versa.

I have no idea bout stall speeds.

Later!
Mr. Ed
1971 Torino 500 302 C4
71torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2009 at 9:03AM
Ok, so I'm almost ready to get the old anchor out and the new V8 in. Could anyone send a couple of pictures of a 70-1 with a 302?

Specifically I'm looking for wire routing, carburetor linkage/kickdown and the power steering pump bracket. Anything will help!

Thanks, Steve

71torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2009 at 6:03AM
Another new question...

I have the harmonic balancer mounted and the water pump pulley does not match up with the crank pulley... ?

The Crank pulley is about a half inch closer to the engine than the water pump pulley. Which component would be to blame for this mis-alignment?
-Water pump pulley
-Harmonic balancer
-Crank shaft pulley

Post Reply Post Reply