The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear wheel rub, sag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear wheel rub, sag
    Posted: 11-July-2020 at 11:06AM
In the one month that I have owned my '70 Torino, I noticed that the left rear tire is now rubbing against the wheel well lip. I can barely pass a piece of paper through the gap. The rear tires are 275/60R15. Not sure of the backspacing on the wheels yet, but for what it's worth, the rear right side is fine; I can easily pass my fingers through. I also plan to replace all wheels and tires eventually.

At first I thought it was the air shocks that were installed by the previous owner, as they didn't seem to take a charge more than 40psi. (I've seen pictures so I know once upon a time could be jacked up like a drag car). Put on some KYB gas-a-just shocks but no luck (oh well, wanted to switch them out anyway!)

I would next think that the leaf springs are bad. But the thing that gets me is that when I raise the rear with a jack, I still can't pass my fingers through it the same way I can on the right side.

It almost seems like the two wheels don't have the same backspacing and perhaps the air shocks previously masked that (surely not though!). But until I measure them, is there anything else I should look for on these Torinos? The springs do look pretty rusty, and I can also push the rear down easily. Let me know what you all think, thanks!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2020 at 1:32PM
Switch the rear wheels side to side.
you will find out whether the wheels are different or the axle is off-center.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2020 at 3:46PM
leaf spring bushings? just pulling the tires off and using a straight edge off the brake drums should give you enough to measure against ...

think about how many times those bushings have taken the tq load / thrust to get that car moving,

not a far stretch in my mind for them to be worn unevenly to one side.

can someone follow behind you on the road to see if the car is dog-tracking?

or take it and have the 4 wheel alignment checked.

72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2020 at 6:45PM
both good suggestions!
 i'd try the wheel swap to see it is the same, yeah bushings may be worn, or the u-bolts and springs shifted?  if so try loosening the u-bolts and pull the rearend over some with a ratchet strap then re-tighten the bolts... see if it stays there???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2020 at 4:35AM
 if new springs aren't in the budget, change the bushings and swap the springs side to side
72 GT Ute

dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2020 at 9:32AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Switch the rear wheels side to side.
you will find out whether the wheels are different or the axle is off-center.

Easy enough, thanks for the tip! Didn't even cross my mind!

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

think about how many times those bushings have taken the tq load / thrust to get that car moving,

not a far stretch in my mind for them to be worn unevenly to one

Good point, makes sense if the open diff tends to put the torque to one side too.

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

try loosening the u-bolts and pull the rearend over some with a ratchet strap then re-tighten the bolts... see if it stays there???

Another good idea. Definitely have a lot to play with now to be dangerous! May wait for the spring purchase to replace all and check alignment of the rear end. Thanks everyone!
Dan

dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2020 at 2:31PM
Rockatansky, I was searching for some spring prices and saw a truck forum post mentioning a Torino with the same scenario occuring on one side..so i'd say not a far strech at all! Wink

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/bed-sag-leaf-springs-34759/
Dan

Post Reply Post Reply