The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor changeover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danzafra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2022 at 5:52PM
Hello Rockatansky,

Thank you for the reply, I have passed on the question to my friend overseas and hopefully get an answer soon.  Part of their question was ",  if we want to increase horsepower.

should we replace the intake manifold?  then re. the Carburetor existing is 2 barrell type, we would like to 

upgrade to 4 barrell? or 2-2-2- Barell setup or 4-2 barell ? which among this is the best combination for the engine?

Thanks

danzafra

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2022 at 2:17AM
Originally posted by danzafra danzafra wrote:

I have passed on the question to my friend overseas and hopefully get an answer soon.....

You need a different intake manifold which is made for that engine, so first figure out which engine it is.

Count the valve cover bolts on one cover, does it have six bolts or eight? Six bolts will be for a Windsor engine(302 or 351W).

The Cleveland heads all have eight bolts on them. The 351M and 400 have Cleveland heads(2V), but the blocks are huge compared to a small block 351C.

Look at the block next to the thermostat housing to the right, the shape around the block and head. The 351M and 400 both use the same block, the heads are raised higher by an inch above the thermostat area, more than the 351C. That area has a metal wall coming up and out from that area on the right side. I've never tried to describe it, I've just looked for it countless times in person and in pictures.

Here's a picture I just found which shows it, and it's circled, the picture says it's from this forum too.

Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
danzafra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danzafra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2022 at 3:47PM
Thank you for the reply Inkara1

Very good suggestion which is worth considering...Can you point me to the right direction where I can get the upgrade for 4B Carb and Manifold too.
danzafra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danzafra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2022 at 3:53PM
Here is the information on the VIN that might help identify.  BUt have passed on the information you shared with the picture for further identification  

9Y89A885258; base on our previous inquiry This might a 351 Cleveland.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 12:40PM
let's start from the beginning, this car is a 1969 US production model or built somewhere else?

what i've been able to find so far doesn't make sense, a 1969 Lincoln MKIII with a 289-4V engine?

VIN decoder

body code found here

Edited by Rockatansky - 17-February-2022 at 12:47PM
72 GT Ute

pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 1:19PM
According to the member the car is a 1970 model torino gt. The Y is the second digit in the VIN means that it was assembled in wixom michigan U.S.A. The fifth digit in the v.i.n. is an A, but there was no A engine code in 1970. Maybe it is an H which would mean it is a 351c or 351w. They used 11 different engine code letters in 1970, but an A was not one of them. But the most important thing is what engine is in the car now.
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 2:30PM
To determine which engine is in the car you will have to look where the upper radiator hose is connected to the intake manifold. If it is a 302, 351w, 390 or 428 engine, the radiator hose will connect to the intake manifold at the front of the manifold facing the radiator. The arrow in the picture below points to it.

The 4 engines above have similar looking intake manifolds but the 302 and 351 engines each use a different intake manifold. The 390 and 428 intakes are also different from the 302 and 351w manifolds, but they might be interchangeable on the 390 and 428 engines.

Edited by pete rad - 17-February-2022 at 2:58PM
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 2:38PM
If it is a 351 cleveland or 400 or 351 modified engine the upper radiator hose will be connected to the engine block above the water pump. It will not be connected to the intake manifold. I dont believe that there was a 400 engine installed in the '70 torino and the 351 modified engine was not installed in passenger cars until 1975. 

There is a picture below of a 351 cleveland intake manifold. The 351 cleveland, 351 modified and 400 intake manifolds look very similar, but they are different. The 351 modified and 400 engines use the same intake manifold, but the 351 cleveland uses a different intake manifold.

Edited by pete rad - 17-February-2022 at 3:25PM
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 2:40PM
The 429 and 460 intake manifolds have the upper radiator hose entering at the front of the manifold, but it faces in the upward direction. There is a picture of one below. The 460 engine was not used in the torino until 1974.

Edited by pete rad - 17-February-2022 at 3:00PM
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 5:38PM
The black arrow in the picture below points to where the upper radiator hose is connected to the engine block on a 351 cleveland engine. The 351 modified and 400 engine blocks look very similar but the 351M and 400 use a different engine block.

Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 6:38PM
Being that the friend is not in the United States, it's hard to make a recommendation. Usually I'd suggest a place like Summit Racing, but I don't know if they ship to other countries.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2022 at 7:45PM
Originally posted by Inkara1 Inkara1 wrote:

Being that the friend is not in the United States, it's hard to make a recommendation. Usually I'd suggest a place like Summit Racing, but I don't know if they ship to other countries.

yes they do mate!
Al
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2022 at 3:04PM
Originally posted by danzafra danzafra wrote:

Hello All,  I am just new to this forum and helping a friend overseas with his rebuild of a 70 Torino GTS.  Several questions were thrown at me and hope I can find answers.  

The existing Ford 351 v8 engine has a 2barrel carbuerator, Can we upgrade to 4-barrel type Carbuerator?

- Do we need to change the Exhaust Manifold too?

On mild V8 applications, no. Headers will add a performance gain, but manifolds do not require replacement. Sometimes on a driver type vehicle, it's a moot point, especially if stock cam, small carburetor, etc.
Headers have a performance gain and can be worth it, but that is up to you and your wallet to make the decision. 
Added expenses would be modifying or replacement of the exhaust system as well.

As long as the manifolds are not cracked and sealed to the cylinder heads, consider headers a possible modification when time comes to replacing cracked manifolds.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12