The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keep or ditch non-working AC??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keep or ditch non-working AC??
    Posted: 05-February-2004 at 9:29AM
Heres a question I need some opinions on. I am starting to restore my 72 Gran Torino again and I am doing some engine work.......head gaskets. Now that I have the AC compressor off to the side I am wondering if I should just remove it all together? The AC has not worked in many years, it would have to be changed over to the new coolant and the car will not be a daily driver. I like the look of a clean engine and removing the AC and its hoses would clean it up. I of course would keep the parts for future use if I wanted or if I sold the car. Any thoughts? Greg
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2004 at 8:23PM

If you want to get your current AC system working again (assuming that the compressor is still good and that the condensor in front of the radiator is not severley damaged), then you'd need to evacuate the system, replace the dryer (by the evaporator, a $40 part of so) and then recharge the system and check to make sure it works. I don't know alot about AC system maintenance, so I am not sure if any kind of a system flush is included in those steps. R-12 is still available, and while expensive, the system only uses like 4 pounds and is much cheaper than buying a new system.

Alternatively, you could switch to R-134 and get a new compressor and evaporator. This would be a several hundred dollar investment, but probably worth it if the existing compressor needs replacement (because any compressor, even a replacement factory R-12 model is a couple hundred or so).

If you do't care about AC at all, remove the compressor and bracket, remove the lines, plug them at the condensor (going into the firewall) and also remove the evaporator and dryer in front of the radiator.

I will try and find some more info on R-134 system replacement. I got some advice once, but I need to find it. I had a compressor model number and everything at one time.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
guilf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2004 at 11:05PM

Don't know if this helps, but last summer I converted a Chevy system to R134. The R12 was accidentally purged during an engine rebuild, so I bought the conversion kit. All that was done was adding the conversion oil and then adding the 134 at the compressor while the system was engaged. It has worked perfectly since. Also, I did replace the dryer.

I'm sure there are other things I should have done, but I couldn't get the smile off my face for a week. Something I did that I knew nothing about actually worked!

Unfortunately, my 72 GTS does not have a/c.

OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2004 at 4:41PM
Greg, if you DO delete the A/C and strip it entirely, you'll need to either change the under-dash blower/plenum to that of a non-A/C configuration, or build a shallow duct to connect the resulting holes in the firewall (engine bay side) so that you'll still have a functional heater set-up (firewall openings are different between A/C and non-A/C cars). Even if you don't drive in cold weather, there are still those humid nights when you may need to de-fog the windshield.

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2004 at 8:04PM

Kevin is correct in his reply if you were to remove the a/c condensor as well as the other under-hood items. The condensor is the part that is in the heater case with the to a/c pipes running into the casing on the engine side of the firewall.

I would recommend that you disconnect the pipes at the heater case under the hood and cap them. Leave the condensor in and everything will be OK. The air will still pass through the condensor, but it will have no net affect on the air (minor amount of restriction, but not enough to notice). In other words, the heater will function the same just as if you still had a working a/c system.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
capt.b-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt.b-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 7:47AM
   guilf is right, all you have to do is purge the system, install conversion kit add the oil and r134.  that is if your existing a/c is working.  i guess if you do remove the a/c it will reduce the front end weight and make maintence easier.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2004 at 10:14PM

If you do keep the a/c system and go to R134, remember to change the dryer and leak check the system.

Also, let me know how it goes. We could have 2 out of 2 sucess stories with this modification. Worth telling to others!!!!

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2004 at 1:54AM
If I may post my 2-cents worth...10 years ago the air conditioner on my '76 LTD wagon gave up the ghost.  I did not bother fixing it as A/C cuts you MPG.  Now that I am 10 years older and 200,000 miles wiser, I regret the decision  and now everything will have to be replaced if I were to want it to work.
Gregs72Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2004 at 9:14AM
Well I may be going against the grain but I think I am going to get rid of the A/C. The car is only going to be a weekend cruiser and I think I could do without the A/C. I just like the look of the clean engine bay. Plus getting rid of all the extra weight up front cant be bad. Any market for these used items? Thanks for all the replies, Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply