The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ring Gear Bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notmikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ring Gear Bolts
    Posted: 26-July-2020 at 2:12PM
I’m installing an aftermarket limited slip in my 9 in rear and the flange that mounts the ring gear is thicker than stock necessitating a longer bolt as well as one with a smaller head to clear the “pocket” on the differential. I’ve found some grade 8 bolts that will do the trick but I’m questioning the need for washers. The differential I’m installing seems to be an aluminum shell and I want to make sure I distribute the load from the bolts well but I worry about installed height of the bolt heads and them not clearing the case. The factory bolts seem to be a shallow head and didn’t use washers BUT they had a 3/4” head as opposed to the 5/8” head I have to use with the new differential. 

Do I need washers? If I run into clearance issues, I can always grind the head of the bolt down I guess but I really don’t want to do that if I can avoid it. 

Edited by Notmikeb - 26-July-2020 at 2:18PM
-1973 Gran Torino Sport 351C 2V
-2013 F150 XLT Ecoboost
-2014 Flex SEL
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2020 at 2:51PM
details, what carrier are you installing and is there no mention of suitable bolts in the destructions?

72 GT Ute

Notmikeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notmikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2020 at 3:22PM
it’s a Yukon Dura Grip and they suggest a 1.25” long bolt (which is what I got) but make no mention of washers. I’m probably overthinking this and they’ll be fine without washers, just loctite. 
-2013 F150 XLT Ecoboost
-2014 Flex SEL
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 11:11AM
looks like an Eaton style unit

no mention of case material, i'd really be surprised if it's alloy?

IIRC in factory Ford units the Trac-Locs use a smaller hex on the ring gear bolts than the open carriers because they're countersunk on the Trac-Locs, not on the opens. i'd source bolts that don't need modifying before taking them to a grinder, do you have a Fastenal near you?

72 GT Ute

Notmikeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notmikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 11:50AM
The bolts I got with the 5/8” head fit just fine without a washer. Barring any instruction otherwise I’m going to run them as is without a washer and not worry about it. Continuing my trend of overthinking this, I think I’d rather have the extra little bit of thread engagement that running without a washer provided anyway. 
-2013 F150 XLT Ecoboost
-2014 Flex SEL
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 1:12PM
washers usually give you a smoother torque when tightening but a ring gear has more bolts and closer than say the spread of like head bolts.  so i think you'll be just fine without washers there?...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply