The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351 Cleveland Intake Gaskets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74GranTorino4dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 Cleveland Intake Gaskets?
    Posted: 03-September-2020 at 3:58AM
Hey guys, Im putting an edelbrock performer on my 351C this weekend. When i ordered the gasket set for the intake it came with 2 intake gaskets the end seals and a valley pan. If i want no problems down the road in what order do i put it together? Gaskets on the heads, end seals then valley pan?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2020 at 3:42PM
how it goes from the factory is; a drop of sealer in the 4 corners at the tips of the end seals, set the end seals in place and maybe readdress the sealer on the top of the tips of the end seals, then locate the turkey pan to the 2 aligning dowels sticking out of the intake gasket surfaces on the heads. now the intake sets in place

no paper gaskets were used from the factory AFAIK, so you'll get all kinds of recommendations where they're supposed to go.
i'm not sure i've never heard from Fel-Pro what order they think it's supposed to go either?
the factory turkey pan was intended as a super fast assy method, and it is ...

1st thing to check is if your intake manifold is compatible with the aligning dowels. some aftermarket manifolds are not contoured along the top edge of their gasket surfaces to allow the use of the dowels. those intakes will sit on top of the dowels and either push them into the heads and spoil the alignment of the gaskets or sit on top of them and cause the gaskets to not seal. not good either way, so check intake fitment before setting any gaskets in place. if you find the intake does sit on top of the dowels it's not much trouble to clearance the top edge of the intake to allow the dowels to remain in place

how committed are you to using the turkey pan system? IIRC Edelbrock recommends using 'race style' gaskets. in this system, my personal opinion, throw the end seals as far as you can and build a bead of RTV to replace them, set the plain composition gaskets in place and sets the intake. most guys find that the fancy gaskets with the silicone sealing beads on them turn very very weird and don't last very long before they fail. also, the gaskets are not symmetrical front to back / top to bottom. you'll find that they fit better only 1 way so flip them around to find that best fit position before setting them down for good

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply