The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear seat belt ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear seat belt ideas
    Posted: 03-September-2020 at 11:55PM
So, in an effort to use my 71 coupe more often I’m looking for ways to mount my kid’s seats in the back. This means fitting seat belts - preferably 3-point ones. I really hate to drill into original metal any more than necessary, but I otherwise can’t bring my two boys along for the ride, and we all know you’ve got to start them young!

So, does anyone know...
1. were rear seat belts ever a factory option? If so I can replicate as much as possible
2. Assuming not, where would you consider the safest but least obtrusive mounting points?

Any ideas welcome, cheers.
ColinUK

71 Torino 351C squeezing through the British countryside
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2020 at 8:55AM
it should have rear belts, they may be down between the seat base and the back.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2020 at 9:55AM
Belts were standard equipment by then, if by chance the rear belts were removed, the mounting points will be there that you can tie into.  I have a '69, but 70/71 are basically the same underneath.  Here are the locations where the belts bolt to the floor..  Not sure on the exact thread size on the mounting hole but they are pretty beefy,  1/2" or 5/8" maybe(?)

Edited by schufitz - 04-September-2020 at 10:07AM
Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2020 at 6:26PM
none of these cars had 3 point belts for the rear seat
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
ColinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2020 at 9:21PM
Once again you guys are great. This has given me an idea for isofix fittings, I will take rear seat out and go hunting for mounting points when i get it back from body shop.

Have a great weekend everyone.
ColinUK

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2020 at 10:24AM
What type of car seat are your trying to install?  I am not sure what they are like in the UK, but the car seats in North American actually install far easier with a lap belt.  Then just add a universal tether strap connector on the rear package tray.  

If you don't have any rear belts anymore, there are lots of aftermarket lap belts that will install in place of the factory belts. Just make sure the seat belts boats are solid and not rusted or weak.  If you want to add three point belts, it would require your to retrofit a modern three point system in the car.  I was thinking of doing the same in my car, but haven't yet. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
ColinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2020 at 9:38PM
@72FordGTS - unfortunately I need 3-point belts to be able to fix in my UK-spec child seats, so it was the top mounting point that was puzzling me - I really don't want to drill in to original metal or put ugly plastic adaptors into the interior.

Thanks to everyone's messages I think I have a plan to put isofix fittings where the original mounting points were under the seats (I think these are called 'LATCH' fittings in the USA?), this will allow me to retain my lap belts and pristine interior. 
ColinUK

Post Reply Post Reply