The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel return line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel return line
    Posted: 24-September-2020 at 9:38AM
Is the fuel return line necessary for safe/good operation?  I've read different things whether it is really needed or not.  I've got new lines from Inline Tube but they don't make the return line.  thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 3:47PM
What are you doing for a fuel pump? For electric a return system is ideal. For mechanical pumps it's not necessary but with today's fuels it may help keep the fuel a bit cooler. I don't believe any of the Torinos from these years had return lines which is why there was no return line available, but I am not 100% certain (possibly Police Intercpetor package Torinos may have, but they had electric pumps). 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 2:26AM
Ditto.

The mid 80's police 351 Crown Vic's had a return line to the mechanical fuel pump. That helped with vapor lock some. How the lines are routed on the engine is critical, spend plenty of time on that, that will help more than an extra line to the pump.

Note for OEM plastic fuel lines; I added EFI to my 86 Crown Vic for a 302 HO engine. Messing with the factory fuel lines and the fittings to attach to them was hell. I would avoid plastic lines if at all possible, don't modify or work on them(replace plastic lines with steel or hoses).
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 3:22AM
Vince, I'm doing a mechanical pump, I will probably clean up the return line the best I can and reinstall it, I believe mine came with it originally but not sure.  Don, the Inline Tube lines are metal and are shaped the same as original so should be all set.  thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 7:22AM
It's not a return line. It's a vent hose that runs up to a charcoal cannister mounted on the right side if the engine compartment. Part of the early emmisions set up. I don't have a cannister that's any good so mine is open. When I run the car hard (lots of acceleration, twistys, etc), I get fuel smell in the engine compartment. Otherwise, no issues.
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 7:27AM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

Vince, I'm doing a mechanical pump, I will probably clean up the return line the best I can and reinstall it, I believe mine came with it originally but not sure.  Don, the Inline Tube lines are metal and are shaped the same as original so should be all set.  thanks  -  dave

I used Inline Tubes on my car (stainless). Very nice kit...simple to install if you're torn down. More difficult if the body is still on the frame. The part of the fuel line that is next to the tank is almost impossible to get between the body & frame because of the bubble flair. Almost impossible, but somehow I was able to do it on a friend's Montego.
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 8:24AM
Originally posted by BadHabit351 BadHabit351 wrote:

It's not a return line. It's a vent hose that runs up to a charcoal cannister mounted on the right side if the engine compartment. Part of the early emmisions set up. I don't have a cannister that's any good so mine is open. When I run the car hard (lots of acceleration, twistys, etc), I get fuel smell in the engine compartment. Otherwise, no issues.

If you wanted to, you could use a charcoal canister from a later car, used or new, to reduce the fuel smell. My late 90's Explorers have that system near the fuel tank. They have two identical canisters, and a small box which has basically a filter inside to keep out debris. The fumes go out when they get hotter and expand, and come back in during cool down. The canisters for my 98 were about $60-80 each, I bought one years ago before I learned that there were two in these. I get a fuel smell in two of mine that are all original, being 23 years old the charcoal isn't that effective now.

This picture shows that filter box to the far left, it's mounted on top of the cross member. Simple plastic lines connect the components, most newer cars have them buried unseen and they weigh almost nothing as a group.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 9:15AM
I went over all my pictures of the car from before I tore it apart and saw that the return line went to the intake area but was capped off and not functioning so I am not going to put it back on.  I cleaned the charcoal cannister up and painted it and since I had the line from Inline tube I installed it and will probably put some kind of one way valve on the cannister outlet port.  For BadHabit351 it looks like the 429's came with a return line on the drivers side but it's not available from Inline Tube so as Vince said I think I will be fine without it.  Again thanks to all - dave

Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 12:39AM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

I went over all my pictures of the car from before I tore it apart and saw that the return line went to the intake area but was capped off and not functioning so I am not going to put it back on.  I cleaned the charcoal cannister up and painted it and since I had the line from Inline tube I installed it and will probably put some kind of one way valve on the cannister outlet port.  For BadHabit351 it looks like the 429's came with a return line on the drivers side but it's not available from Inline Tube so as Vince said I think I will be fine without it.  Again thanks to all - dave

Did not know 429 cars had that line. Thanks for the info.
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2020 at 10:56AM
I bought the stainless kit from inline and decided I'm going to use the evap line as a return line if I switch over to fuel injection.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2020 at 4:27PM
evap line may not be large enough diameter for a return?

they say the return needs to be at least the same size or larger than the supply to prevent any restriction, the return has to free flow 100% of supply w/o building back pressure on the regulator

72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2020 at 3:22AM
The return line is the same or smaller in all stock Ford EFI pre-1999 systems. The main line is typically 5/16", the return on all of my 90's Fords I'd say are close to 1/4" small. Common is to use the 5/16" stock main fuel lines as the return, and replace the tiny old line with 3/8" or AN 6 lines. That's for mild power, serious fuel systems they go to AN 8 size for the feed. Unless the power is going to get over 500-600hp, 3/8" feed line is enough for typical fuel pressures, 35 or 65psi.
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply