The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2021 at 12:14PM
     Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Lol

I bet they would fix it after you get it ready for bed in the fall. It is pretty cool though, you have to admit.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2021 at 12:20PM
I agree, it is kind of cool to have a 200 mph speedometer, but not as cool when the speedometer is marked in km/h.  On the plus side though, if anyone wants to do a custom overlay for our speedometers, it looks like ISI can calibrate it to those speeds.  So there is no need to hunt down a rare and super expensive police speedometers.

I haven't had a chance to contact ISI yet, I post their response when I hear back.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2021 at 12:47PM
   I honestly don't think I would ever bury the speedometer in any old car without a full race restraint and roll bar. When I was a kid it was never an isssue but now with the speed comes loss of license and six years of surcharges that go along with it.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2021 at 12:48PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I agree, it is kind of cool to have a 200 mph speedometer, but not as cool when the speedometer is marked in km/h.  On the plus side though, if anyone wants to do a custom overlay for our speedometers, it looks like ISI can calibrate it to those speeds.  So there is no need to hunt down a rare and super expensive police speedometers.

I haven't had a chance to contact ISI yet, I post their response when I hear back.

That's great, I was hoping a company like that could calibrate to another range. I'd like more than 120, but I'm not sure how much more would be better. The marks get closer together, which isn't really a good thing. I'd love to get a tach labeled and accurate to 7000rpm.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2021 at 3:49PM
IIRC there was a White Face Gauges outfit that had an upgraded MPH speedo and 7k tach overlay but last time i looked they were no longer shown on the page. probably a bunch of complaints that the overlays required recalibration, which as i recall was clearly spelled out in the description

OK, the pics are still there in these listings, 160 mph & 8k tach

Edited by Rockatansky - 17-May-2021 at 4:11PM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2021 at 6:12PM
i bought the white face overlays for my car... i like that as it makes them easier to see in the daylight since the sport cluster sits way back in a dark tunnel so to speak. and since i'm running red LED's they are now easier to read at night vs the blackWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2021 at 1:14AM
Why do speedometers go up to 140 when the cars can't GO 140, and IF you did, you would go to jail?
Some 80s-90s comedian used to do a bit about this.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2021 at 9:07AM
There was a song about it, "I can't go 55."

Those were sad years, low speed limits and lower powered cars.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2021 at 9:29AM
Signage everywhere. "55 Saves Lives".  And Ma. Governor Dukakis got around the federal right on red by putting up bo turn on red at almost every intersection.  Sorry for the off-topic irrelevance.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2021 at 11:51AM
OMG.....I remember all of that. His wife drank rubbing alcohol and ended up in the hospital.  The "NO TURN ON RED" thing was crazy. 
Steve M.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2021 at 4:46PM
A couple things. I looked into lube for speedometers last year. My speedo got this horrific chirp noise issue along with jumping issues at low speed.
I spent time researching and found the only oil you want to use is supposedly 3 in 1 Mineral oil.
Lubes like PB blaster and WD40 work ok but dry out.

the 3in1 oil is a mineral based oil and seems to be what's needed.
On the speedo cables, All I have ever used is a can of spray lithium grease, but I am sure there are specific lubes for cables.

Another oddball issue I ran into was my GTS has had factory cruise control items added in. Never used them, nor finished the install mainly because for some reason just not worried about it.
I have had the speed sensor that the main speedo cable screws into, lock up and fail ruining a cable. In turn stripping a speedo cable gear.

Typically what I do on gear replacements...
I order the correct gear for the tail shaft, seal kit for the tail shaft, and new speedo gears.
Fun fact:
Manual transmission speedo and tail shaft gears have a helix pattern that is reverse of the automatic transmission counterparts.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2021 at 4:48PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

True but thankfully Ford kept the Foxbody V8 powered and kept the Ford Probe...as a FWD car that would get stuck in 4-6 inches of snow, and killed it off. And then brought it back as the "new" Cougar for the 99-02 model years. And was thankfully put out to pasture.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2021 at 9:30PM
years ago i towed one of those cougars... what a disgraceOuch kinda like what they did to the nova and lemans of those years... sad don't even begin to describe those cars! what the hell were they thinking?Cry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2021 at 11:16PM
Good God man. I never knew this existed.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2021 at 12:46AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

True but thankfully Ford kept the Foxbody V8 powered and kept the Ford Probe...as a FWD car that would get stuck in 4-6 inches of snow, and killed it off. And then brought it back as the "new" Cougar for the 99-02 model years. And was thankfully put out to pasture.

I remember that last Cougar, I saw a new one on a dealers lot in about 1999. That was a modern day AMC Pacer, ugly and pitiful.

I cringe thinking of the AMC Pacer, my parents considered trading our 72 GT in on one when we were in Germany. The thing was smaller than the Gran Torino, driving in Europe was interesting in city streets. I recall our trip to Italy, and trying to get it washed near Piza. It was too wide for their machine, they had to wash it by hand. I need to locate those old slides, my parents took plenty of pictures back then.
Don
Rivercrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2021 at 1:29PM
Although it is not near you these people are well known here for their good service: Located in Winnipeg. They do speedo calibration and repairs. They do all Winnipeg police and RCMP units. Perhaps they can give you advice.

Sobering Automotive Centre Ltd
(131) · Auto repair shop
7+ years in business · 1575 Dugald Rd · (204) 661-8525
Bob
1974 Cougar XR7 with a 72 351C
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2021 at 4:48PM
i saw the 1 of the Last Of The Montegos on the road today
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2021 at 1:31AM
ISI got back to me and said they would recalibrate it now or at the end of the driving season for no charge.  I will wait until the driving season is over and then send it back.  

Thanks for the information Rivercrest, but it looks like ISI will make it right for no charge.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12