The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refinishing polished aluminum trim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refinishing polished aluminum trim
    Posted: 28-October-2020 at 10:24AM
Does anyone have some good ideas to finish polished aluminum parts?

I have a lot of trim pieces for my Ranchero that are a combination of old used, NOS, or polished parts. I like the original finish, but none of mine look that way except the three rear NOS bed trim pieces I have. The lower side pieces(72-74 Gran Torino wide trim with grey painted middle section), those are all used and need refinishing.

Two of those pieces I have to recreate/fabricate from four original 2dr parts, the trim behind the doors and the rear wheel. Those are too short for a Ranchero, but two cut up and welded together can make them long enough.

I have the front three bed trim pieces polished and I love that finish, but preserving it, that's really tough. I just ordered two pairs of the long bed trim pieces, from Mac's Auto. BTW, their shipping is nuts, be sure to call in the order to get the best shipping price. Online it was $600 for those and four armrests, over the phone the trim pairs were $75 shipping, and they changed the cost to $74 total for shipping, I had ordered the other four parts before hand.

I'd like a clear coating on the polished AL, if something could be applied to it. But polished aluminum is not a clean surface to adhere powder coat onto, it's filled with contaminants that stop paint from sticking properly. I'd like a good automotive clear coat to work if it could.

This issue would also apply to things like polished AL valve covers. I have a couple pairs of those from Ford that I might like to leave polished instead of painted.

Any thoughts, please chime in. I'm not close to doing any final finish work, but this might one of the hardest tasks. I wish the man who used to do the AL trim work was still working, he could help a lot I'm sure, especially the thin aluminum welding and metal work.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2020 at 11:21AM
Polish it, degrease, and clear lacquer?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2020 at 5:16PM
polish then clear anodized is factory. a shop that does anodizing should be able to do it after its polished, far as i know they could be electro plated in the acid without any dye in it???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2020 at 1:13AM
Okay, so maybe the normal anodizing or electroplating processes can work on bare polished AL. I'm not ready to do final trim parts yet, but that's the one thing I've worried about. I also have the rear tailgate AL trim, the wide one with FORD letters. It's NOS so it could be what to shoot for with the rest. This won't be a show car so it needs to survive normal use and care. I take care of my stuff well, but I don't go overboard about things.

Thanks, when I get time I'll send away one of the smaller trim parts that is polished. The eBay seller in CA has a lot of odd trim things regularly, Ranchero's seem to be common for him.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2020 at 9:33AM
I use Eastwoods High Gloss 2K clear.Goes on great doesn't yellow over time.
Not cheap $20.00 a car but covers a lot.
Part Number 14148z
I have been using this for 3 years and it works if you follow the directions.
You will have to wear a good mask-not the dust masks you buy at Home depot etc. and be in a well ventilated area.
Greg
Greg
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2020 at 10:51AM
2k = crazy glue, cyanoacrylate. breathe that and you're done Dead

short of full on restoration & anodize refinish, i'd be looking at a spray on product / system

there are some that are hard to tell from chrome

72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2020 at 10:52AM
Thanks Greg, I like Eastwood products. My favorite is their Rust Dissolver, which is thin like water and weeps into seams. It's excellent to spray onto most car parts and leave it, it doesn't hurt many materials and can be painted directly over.

I have a gallon of the Alsa clear if I decide to experiment with automotive clear. I got it to begin mixing a custom paint for my Lincoln, and it's time to get to that also.
Don
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2020 at 11:19AM
Yes isocyonites are bad.
I have been painting using them for 20 years now in my shop. I use an outside air supply when in the booth or where there is no air circulation.
If you use a good mask with good airflow then you will be all right. The secret is good ventilation.
If you are going to experiment with the Alsa then be sure to clean the part with wax and grease remover and shoot the part.
The clear should last a couple of years before it starts to yellow. So far the Eastwood hasn't yellowed in three years and I use it on my engine parts with the underhood heat and the 100+ degrees we have hear in Oklahoma..
Greg
Greg
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2020 at 12:32PM
Thanks Greg, that's been my plan for valve covers, to spray them with the same paint as the body, and clear.

The old NOS Ford Motorsports VC's I have for a Cleveland I want to keep the polished appearance on. Those look perfect as they are, the look is what I like for an old Ford etc. The new 73 I just bought has a similar version VC, they just say "351 Cleveland" instead. They look pretty good for what I'd guess is eight years of age on the engine, bare.
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply