The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C Oil Pump - Melling M84-A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C Oil Pump - Melling M84-A
    Posted: 02-November-2020 at 1:52AM
Is there a way to remove the welsh cap/plug to enable access to the relief spring to install a shim? Removed the pin...and I don't see anyway of removing it without damage & replacing.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 10:49AM
the usual suggestion is to run a self tapping screw into the plug and work it out however you can. yes the pug will need to be repaired with weld to close the hole or replaced. they say the plug is reverse taper and can be hard to source replacements. IIRC i think i've seen people post that they've used a regular taper plug. some just push the original plug in farther and shim up to 1/8" max, and some say it makes no difference after the engine warms up the pressure will be about the same. makes sense because the spring controls a safety blow-off valve, not a regulator in the traditional sense. once the oil reached temp and thins out, the valve usually doesn't open again because the viscosity has thinned out. here's a thread from the old forum, use the search there to find many more. oiling is a big topic

i know for sure the size & part number for a reverse plug is in that old forum somewhere
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 11:58AM
plug gets destroyed

Super Roo gives the size ... but verify it yourself!

listings for std taper plugs, concave or flat bottom

this might be it? but verify yourself!

72 GT Ute

texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 2:26PM
Thanks Rock, I did a quick check on Tap Talk but had to go offline so didn't get much of a chance to look around. I figured it would be the drill hole & install screw route.
Once again, thanks for the info.

Billy
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2020 at 10:55PM
The Melling plug MEL-MPC-156 is a perfect fit. Just have to get something a little more robust to insert in the pin hole to secure. In the link the guy suggested a piece of solid fence wire.

1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2020 at 10:57PM
To clarify...meaning the pin hole in the pump housing. I placed the old plug (with hole I drilled to extract) next to the new one for comparison.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2020 at 4:25PM
sounds a little redneck to me?

i've also heard of drilling the hole larger to fit a roll pin but thinking about it engine vibration & harmonics could cause any type of pin that's not mechanically trapped to walk out. never heard of the standard cotter pin failing either though
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2020 at 1:10AM
Agree, I just kept the original cotter pin
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
 Post Reply Post Reply