The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70-71 351W Torino Front Sump Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTSman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70-71 351W Torino Front Sump Oil
    Posted: 02-December-2020 at 8:32AM
I have a friend putting a 418 (351W stroker 4.100 crank stroke) in a 71. Canton, Milodon say their front sump pans won't work in a Torino but will work in the same year Mustangs. What gives with the Torino? What is different underneath, that an aftermarket good front sump pan won't work? Tech from Milodon said the rear of their 351W stock replacement style part #30730 pan will touch the cross member. Can anyone here, that's done a similar swap shed some light on to what we need to do? Does the 70-71 Torino have 70-71 Torino specific oil pans?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 10:54AM
aftermarket pans are squared off and drop straight down where the stock pan is sloped to avoid the crossmember

i had to notch away the crossmember pinch weld material to fit a Moroso deep pan in my 72,

i'll say the Canton pan will fit if you're willing to notch the crossmember and possibly weld in a piece of metal

72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 2:00PM
IDK aren't the 70/71 torinos like the early mustangs with a bolt on tubular cross member??? if so i could just be that the cross member sits a little forward or back than the mustang...??? i would think it could be modified to fit the pan???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
73GTSman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTSman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2020 at 1:34AM
So, are we saying that no aftermarket 351W pan will fit the 70-71, unless the cross member and/or pan are modified in some way. Does anyone know if there is a difference in 70-71 351W pans for the Torino, vs. the pans for a 70-71 Mustang; they should all be front sump pans.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2020 at 1:23PM
no absolutes but there is a trend

AFAIK there's only the 1 basic stamping for all front sump pans from Ford, never heard of different ones

is he looking for a deep, kick-out, Tee'd pan or just a stock replacement type?

72 GT Ute

73GTSman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTSman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2020 at 2:10AM
Really looking for stock type pan, with good baffling, that will clear the 4.100 crank stroke. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2020 at 5:47AM
is this the Canton that they say won't fit? they show a pic with dimensions

The Pan Features
* 5 qt System Capacity
* Retains all Stock Oil Pan Dimensions & Capacity
* Slosh Baffle

this Canton has a little more baffling than the Kevco for a little more $, $140 vs $175

as far as the 4.1" crank clearing on the sides, that depends on what rods he's using. cap screw type rods can be more compact than traditional bolt & nut style rods, or they can be extra beefy and cause the need to notch the block pan rail and possibly needing the pan itself to be clearanced. i don't see any Windsor pans on the Canton page that have bumped out pan rails

Milodon 30730 says it allows a 4.1" crank, but again it's not the crank itself that interferes, it's the rods

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply