The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Officially joined your ranks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Officially joined your ranks!
    Posted: 27-February-2021 at 2:58PM
A little long winded, but here it goes if you have time....

Coworker and friend of mine, worked with me on buying his ‘73 Gran Q code fastback. Wife and step son rode with me to his house (about 70 miles from home). He was leery about us driving it home, because he’s only put about 150 miles on it in the last 4 years. He had bought it from another fellow coworker, who is not mechanically inclined at all.

So he told me the very first thing I needed I do, was go to the gas station to make sure it was full. Put 11 gallons in it, went to start it, and it made some god awful noise both times I tried, and then it just clicked. Went and got a solenoid and a starter just in case. Changed solenoid, made no difference. There was no way I could of changed that starter in the parking lot. There was no less than 5 people that wanted to talk about the car within 5 minutes of getting to the gas station, lol. LUCKILY one of the guys that was talking about having one in the 70’s, was a fellow mechanic, and had a nephew that might be able to haul it home on a trailer for me for a fee, of course. Long story short, they got the ‘ole beast home for me. Charged me $200 which I thought was fair for taking time on a Saturday on an hour’s notice, rounding up a car hauler, and traveling to the edge of the world and turning left... Got the starter installed (bendix had an 1/8” of play side to side at the snout) went to hook up the battery, and the negative cable wanted to weld itself to the battery terminal! Hadn’t seen THAT before! Stuck the old solenoid on there, and it finally turned over proper. 

Blasted around town for about 20 minutes after dark, avoiding Johnny law, since brake lights, and turn signals weren’t working. Also managed to get it stuck on wide open throttle, when I went to open it up a little bit! That was a little bit of a butt pucker moment, but I had it under control with some liberal brake application, and working the gas pedal the wrong way...

Got a lot to do on it, but a lot of it is done already thanks to my coworker. He’s just too busy to mess with it. I’ll gladly take care of it, and will bring it back to mint Wink

Frank
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2021 at 3:16PM
Welcome. Slow down and go through the car methodically after you get it insured. As a 48 year old, it is different than a newborn. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2021 at 4:35PM
hmm stuck wide open? these have a built in return spring on the cable!  i'd un snap it from the carb and push it in a few times by hand... feeling for any sticking spots, that may indicate a frayed cable internally! 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2021 at 4:41PM
A friend out a Holley on his Chevelle out of the box and it locked up when wide open. Mechanical secondary carb. Naturally it locked up doing a burnout in the McDonald's parking lot and sent us out into traffic sideways. He threw it in neutral as we hit the curb. I shut it off before he did any damage. He was pissed when I said "I told you so". I saw that it was hanging up when I took it out of the box and said to get another one or you were asking for trouble. Haha
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2021 at 11:09PM
Welcome Frank! Thanks for sharing your story. Diagnosing those starter problems are always a pain. I've been hearing more and more that you should never buy a starter solenoid from your local parts store anymore, most are cheap junk. After only 6 months of using one from O'Reilly, just this past Friday I bought myself a Standard/Bluestreak solenoid online from Rock Auto as that brand is one of the few that seem to have good reviews. We shall see...

Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Naturally it locked up doing a burnout in the McDonald's parking lot ...

Now that's just funny right there!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2021 at 3:06AM
He asked if I screwed the lid down too tight.....might of been something he could of mentioned while I was still in his driveway messing with it, lol. It has an edelbrock on it, so I bet that’s it. That’s kind of what it felt like...getting hung up on something. Gonna go play around with the car in a few minutes, and get some of these bugs worked out!

Frank
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2021 at 6:19AM
Welcome!  Start up a project thread on your car, and we can follow and help as you make progress on the car.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Camojoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2021 at 3:14PM
Welcome Bueller, there's a lotta o' knowledge up in here.
Camo
werd tuh yuh momma and dim....
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2021 at 3:59PM
Indeed there is! Finding it is a little bit of a pain sometimes, lol

Frank
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2021 at 12:56AM
Originally posted by Bueller Bueller wrote:

Indeed there is! Finding it is a little bit of a pain sometimes, lol

Frank
The journey is as important as the destination, Grasshopper.
(We need a "Budda" emoji. )
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2021 at 1:05AM
Exactly, it can be frustrating to not find what you want fast, but you will learn a lot more from the searches.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2021 at 2:49AM
welcome bueller

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2021 at 11:31AM
Welcome to the group 
Steve M.
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2021 at 12:11PM
Thank you all for the welcomes! 

Been working on it for almost 3 weeks every day before work and sometimes after. Finally drove it around with the ole lady yesterday afternoon, and put about 30 miles on it. Still got some bugs to work out, but definitely got it closer now.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply