The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Gremlins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickMorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Gremlins
    Posted: 22-March-2021 at 6:42AM
Hi All Across the Pond.

Had a day off today so thought I would clean up the 73 and noticed that the left hand urn signal indicator on the instrument panel was not working but the right hand was ?

Had a look behind the panel and the right hand side bulb holder seems to take its power from the printed circuit on the back of the instrument panel the left hand  bulb holder slightly different style and seems to take is power probably from the turn signal switch on the steering column as that where the wires disappeared to.

Checked the connections holder to bulb and all seems okay and when you put a tester on it and ground it, it seem to be a constant supply rather than on and off as the passenger bulb but the bulb is not lit as you would expect with a power source.

Changed bulbs for new still no turn signal indicator on left dash indicator any thoughts ?

If I have to take a look at the switch on the steering column can anyone share any images without the column shroud so I can see the switch in situ and is this a steering wheel off job to then be able to remove the shroud to get at the switch ?

Any tips / tricks / bypass

NCMTORINO1973
goliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 6:30PM
Here you go. This is a 76 I think but similar.

Geary Oliver
Grand Coulee WA.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 10:01PM
both bulbs get connection through the printed circuit board. are you using LED bulbs???
 you can remove the lower column plastic collar to access the curved turn signal wire connector for testingWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply