The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Am I a moron? 72 ball joint issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I a moron? 72 ball joint issues
    Posted: 10-April-2021 at 6:32AM
Alright, I cannot get either my top or bottom ball joints to fit on my A arms or my control arms. I bought Moog #K8212 and K8059 and neither properly fit. The upper ball joint has a firm rubber boot that will not physically fit through the hole allotted in The control arm for the ball joint. 

The lower ball joint doesn’t even fit in the A arm, am I doing things catastrophically wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 8:28AM
from the pic on Rockauto it looks like the upper might install from the opposite side of the rubber boot end?

and do you have bolt in or press in style lower control arms, K8059 is a bolt in unit

check this out

72 GT Ute

72torino... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 10:26AM
Rockatansky I appreciate your response.

I am fairly certain that I have the bolt in style, because I had to grind off rivets to remove the old units.

I will attach a photo of how i'm trying to install the upper ball joint.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 10:28AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 10:36AM
The upper ball joints are held with rivets and the replacements are bolt in.  From the pic, it looks like the correct joint.  Have your tried installing it without the boot? Then install the boot after you get the joint in the arm?

Rockatanksy is talking about the lower control arms.  There are two styles, bolt-in or press-in.  You need to have the correct one or it won't fit the arm.  Post a pick of your lower arm.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 11:06AM
I have not, the boot seems be almost molded into place. I can try to be more aggressive with it tomorrow and see if it’ll come off. 

I do not have a photo of my lower on me, but same scenario my old ones were riveted in place. The bolt in ball joint almost fits on the backside of the lower arm it just has all of these minor interferences that prevent it from seating properly. 
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 12:10PM
A touch of silicone grease or similar will help the rubber get through the hole. It is a tight fit, that is why they sometimes sell them with the boots not attached.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 12:48PM
thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give that a try tomorrow with some new patience

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2021 at 12:45PM
update, I tried to install the uppers with a little bit of lube. Still no luck. The rubber that interferes seems molded in place and non removable, but it also seems to be oversized by at least an 1/8”. The lowers are still a nightmare. I also had my dad look at it and he came to the same conclusions I have. I’m going to order a new set of ball joints from a different manufacturer, keep ya posted. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2021 at 12:46PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2021 at 12:47PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2021 at 12:47PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2021 at 12:28PM
Underwhelming update, I purchased ball joints of a different brand and they bolted right up.

Upsetting that the USA Moog options did not work for me personally.
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2021 at 3:40PM
Wow that is frustrating but I am glad you got others to work.  Weird.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2021 at 5:49PM
seems like everything now is outsourced to chinaConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 4:53AM
Would you post what brand / model # you used instead of Moog? Thanks!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 5:05AM
models included at the start of my post. For sale if you’re interested 😁
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 5:15AM
Sorry -I meant, what other brand / model did you actually install?
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 5:42AM
Sorry about that misunderstood you.

For the uppers I just got them through Napa. 

Part number 10262 part of their PCC line 

And the lowers I got on rock auto, MAS brand (whatever that is) part number BJ850075.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 7:16AM
Have you considered returning the Moog balljoints?  Or even contacting Moog customer service?  They should know that their parts are shoddy.  The old Moog ball joints used to fit fine.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 7:28AM
I bought them through rock auto and when I tried to return them I had owned them 35 days and apparently the return cut off limit is 30 days of ownership. However, great idea contacting Moog directly. I will do that after work!!
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 7:30AM
FYI, Moog has no customer service, they only deal with venders, ever. Any issues have to go through the seller.

I had Moog BJ's installed into my 92 Lincoln LCA's(I paid my alignment shop to do it), and the included boots were too small. The seller was Amazon, but they wouldn't take back parts that had been "installed." Moog wouldn't discuss it with me, I told them that their boots were the wrong size, and they would not help me. I had to buy new BJ's again from a local Advance Auto, to get the correct boots. Then I returned those BJ's with the previous Moog boots, to the seller, not to Moog.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2023 at 5:01PM
I found this thread while I was installing ball joints on a 1972 Ford LTD. I know this is old, but may help someone in the future.

For the upper ball joint, the boot is not supposed fit as you are trying to install it. The boot goes between the ball joint and spindle. Not between the control arm and ball joint.

The lower ball joint is supposed to be a very tight fit. This concerned me also, until I checked to see if the original lower ball joint would fit right back in. It does not. They must have been slightly pressed in from the factory, then riveted. Hence, only 2 rivets holding it in place. An impact will seat the ball joint down pretty good. Grad 8 course thread bolts/nuts worked perfect. The fine thread Moog bolts will strip if you ever need to remove them. 

This video shows how to replace them: https://youtu.be/M-Lj34q3Z34
 Post Reply Post Reply