The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 body with 72 everything else?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 body with 72 everything else?
    Posted: 07-August-2021 at 6:42AM
what are the body differences of a 73 fastback for a 72? I have a line on a 73 body that looks clean, but I want to make sure my 72 interior, fenders, doors, frame, rear lower valance, and bumper will all bolt up with the 73 body. 

Thanks for any help
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2021 at 8:18AM
Basic tub is at or about identical. You can replace your 72 tub with a 72 or 73 tub, Rear bumper is the same, just spaced with different brackets. A 72 frame has front horns specific to 72, but only affects the front clip. All the differences are in the first 6 inches of the car. Door shells, etc are identical. There are detail differences in interior trim, but everything swaps between the two.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
paj1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paj1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2021 at 9:55AM
I replaced the front sheet metal on a '73 with '72 parts a while ago.  Look for my 1972.5 build thread. 

The body shells are the same.  Interior hardware is the same but the dash electronics might be different. 

The frames are different, with the rear bumper mounts pushed out a little to allow for better collision protection so there is a spacer between the bumper and the body for '73 that isn't there for '72s.  The rear bumpers themselves are the same.

The front bumper mount locations on the frame are different.

The mounting points for the front fenders are different.  My build thread has detailed photos of the differences.
My Toy List:
1972.5 Gran Torino Sport
2001 Mustang Cobra Vert
2001 Lightning
2013 Jeep Wrangler
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2021 at 11:30AM
here’s another guy along with the ‘1972.5’ Forum (which I included a link in the forum) who is putting a ‘72 nose on his car..... along with my currently-on-hold ‘Q-Clone’ project.

And, here’s the 1972.5 forum—-

Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72torino... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 4:23AM
Guys thank you so much for your input. Also PAJ great great thread you have on your car build, that thing came out killer. 

The only thing I want to make sure is, can I use my 72 frame with a 73 body. I already have my 72 frame powder coated and reassembled as a roller. I don't want to run into a situation where the body bolts don't line up
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 4:31AM
72 frame and front clip, everything behind the fenders can be 73 no issues

except maybe the way the inner fender supports bolt to the cowl
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 5:42AM
if you are going to swap the front clip, the you really only have a couple fender-to-body points to read the 1972.5 forum carefully on.

If you plan on using your ‘73 front, then you will need to be creative, forward if the core support.

I will be putting my parts car frame under my ‘73.  That’s  my “Q-Clone” project that is on hold.   The plan for that is a ‘72 clip on a ‘73.  HOWEVER, I am retaining my ‘73 parts in case I decide to keep the ‘73 front.  If I do that, I’d be at the “ok, it’s a ‘73 but a ‘72 frame..... how do I do the front now” point .....here is what I have planned out in my head—-

It’s really only the bumper mounts that need to be engineered, everything else bolts to the inner fenders, firewall, Core support, etc.... so I am going to get a second pair of ‘72 frame bumper mounts, cut them off, turn them around and bolt them to the mounts on the frame ( like bolting 2 ‘72 frames together at the front), the see how to engineer/weld/attach the front of my ‘73 frame to that.  Basically it comes down to cutting off the front of my ‘73 frame and turn it into a ‘bolt-on-to-a-’72-frame” extension unit.

You’ll get to that before I do, so there’s the idea.  If it works, I thought of it first....I’ll take credit for the idea——if it doesn’t work,  you get the credit :) lol

Dave Fox
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72torino... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 7:07AM
I think the swap will be easy. Based upon the 1972.5 thread I’ll just drill the mounting holes for the 72 fenders onto the 73 body. And then I’ll just use my 72 frame for everything else to make the 73 body appear to be a 72 car. Only thing that will bug me maybe is the car being titled a 73…
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 7:37AM
 i believe 72's have 2 extra body mounts at the top of the rearend arch in the frame that weren't used after 72 but the rest should all be the same...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 8:14AM
The 1973 frames have the front bumper mount made as an add on part. I did the 72 swap onto my 73 in 1988, it was very easy, though I didn't deal with the different fender to cowl mount points, it works fine without changes there.

The 73 bumper frame/shock device looks like they cut off the 72 frame, and bolted on the added frame mount piece. That looks like a simple frame section filled with rubber surrounding a metal bumper bracket slipped into, the rubber poured in and holding it together. So to put the 73 bumper onto a 72 frame, looks just as easy to do given the matching bumper frame snout piece.

I'd like to do it again if the right 72 front end pieces turned up. I thought maybe the later shock absorbing mount frame snout might be worth making work with the 72 bumper. But given how weak the 72 bumper is, I don't think doing anything that allows the bumper to be pushed back at all, is good. Any movement of the 72 front end damages the more fragile parts behind it, the grille surround trim, and the grill, the pot metal corner pieces etc.

For the 72 front end, every effort should be made to never let anything hit the bumper. Plus if you can reinforce the bumper. I plan to fill all unused holes in my bumper, especially the hood latch slot. I'll add metal behind it to strengthen it all, alter the shape as much as can be, to improve it. Then have it chromed, and hope it never gets damaged.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 8:32AM
agreed on all points
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 11:08AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

72 frame and front clip, everything behind the fenders can be 73 no issues

except maybe the way the inner fender supports bolt to the cowl
and the trunk flipper ,
albos73gts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 11:18AM
you can swap the flippers.....2 different ways

1. Drill the rivets and swap The whole thing
2. Swap the whole decklid

I’ve done both.  
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 11:33AM
Wow , the whole deck lid ?  I really was  just being silly but  who would  know the differance   between the two except us . anyway   wasn't there  way more 72 sold than 73's ,   sports that is .  and  the 73 flipper looks  better ,

Edited by albo74 - 08-August-2021 at 11:39AM
albos73gts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 11:47AM
swap the whole decklid in 5 minutes (well, maybe 10 if you have trouble adjusting it).... remove four bolts and slide it off. Slide the other one on and tighten the four bolts.

Matching the paint will take the time, though.
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 1:27PM
the trunk flipper has a whammy spring that fits into a punched out hole hidden behind the flipper,

it's not just a flush mount. swapping the deck lid would be much faster & easier.

but i like the 73 flipper better any day of the week, i'd find a way to swap the grill badge too LOL
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 2:01PM
the spring on the flippers are darn near impossible to replace unless you remove the whole assembly.  I replaced a few springs but it’s not the easiest thing, AND, you have to be super-careful cuz the potmetal can break easily.  I’ve broken a few, trying to replace the springs, too..... lol

But yeah, the ‘73 GTS “gear” flipper is way cool.  The ‘72 Gran Torino’s and the ‘73 Gran Torino got the ‘plain’ red emblems in the flippers.

The grill emblem — the ‘72 is the ‘plain’ red emblem, and the ‘73 emblem is “on a pedestal”. Those were all the ‘72 Gran Torino’s and the ‘73 Gran Torino, while  the ‘73 Gran Torino Sport got the “gear” emblem on the front.... also on a ‘pedestal’. The ‘72 emblems were offset toward the driver’s side.  The ‘73 emblem was centered.  So, the ‘slots’ in the emblems will be different sizes if the grill dimensions and spacing are different..
The ‘73 Gran Torino non-sport grill emblem got the wreath, the ‘73 base torino was a plain round ‘pedestal’.

The rancheros got the “gear” emblem, but The coloring was different from the red/white/blue that the GTS got.

In the XJ world, everyone knows me as the guy who has almost all the different models to swap parts around for experimentation and figment.  I’ll try to do the same here, since I have a ‘72 GTS, a ‘73 GTS, and a base torino clip.  I’ll see what fits and what doesn’t. 

I’m sure there are more variations on the emblems than I listed, but that’s a start.  If someone hadn’t already done an in-depth look at the ‘72-73 emblems,  there’s a topic for someone to run with.

Dfox

1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 3:22PM
I love that, the details make it more special. I was planning to leave the front emblem off, I guess I hadn't seen every version yet, or notice them.

I think the 72 front bumper guards are too tall, I have been waffling for ages on whether to use them or not. I think I'm going to cut one down to shorten how high it goes above the bumper, to see how that would look. Maybe just making them 2" or so shorter will be the right look.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2021 at 5:25PM
i have a Ranchero grill badge from a 77-79, Gear style,

same colors IIRC but does not say Gran Torino Sport in it

kinda plain
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2021 at 2:14AM
I'd like to see all of those, maybe one will fit the project better.
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply