The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't get tailgate open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't get tailgate open
    Posted: 30-November-2021 at 12:17PM
My '72 tailgate won't open at all. I pull on the outside handle and nothing happens, but there is tension so it feels like it's pulling on something. If I turn the key, I can hear the motor running, but the window doesn't move, so I can't roll it down to let me fold the gate down. I also can't get the inside panel to come off so I can reach inside the gate to open it that way. Is the panel glued at the bottom in addition to the screws?

Any other ideas for getting it open? I tried lifting it with one hand while pulling the handle with the other. Even j7st being able to open it sideways would be a big improvement.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2021 at 2:12PM
That's a tough problem. I don't know the answer to that, but the latch mechanisms are probably needing lubrication badly. Try to find a way to spray something into the latch area, the door handle hinges etc, through the openings around those.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2021 at 5:01AM
  If the window is jammed full up it may be putting outward pressure on the latches. Try pushing it in real hard and then try the handle.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2021 at 7:09AM
You may want to get someone working from the inside to apply pressure on the tailgate outward while you are on the outside lifting the tailgate handle pulling on it to hopefully get the latches to unstick. It may be that the rods that unlock the latches may have slipped out of there place as well so the latches are not being unlocked if that makes sense. Lubricate and let sit the best you can first.  

As far as the window motor turning, that is more than likely the plastic cogs inside the motor itself that have disintegrated over time causing the motor to turn, but the window doesn't move up or down. 

The tailgate interior panel is attached with several small screws only, no adhesive, unless that was a previous owners "upgrade".

Good luck and keep us posted! 

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2021 at 9:43AM
So I was able to get the inside panel off. There were a couple more screws hidden in the corners that I didn't see. I had to fashion a tool by grinding down the back of a Phillips head bit so it would fit into the space sideways and then super glue it into a cheap ratcheting 1/4" ratcheting driver. Amazon has some screwdrivers that can fit, but I didn't want to wait a few days for them to show up.

I've sprayed lubricant all over the mechanism inside the gate, plus as much as I can get on the latch between the gate and tail light. I can pull on the lever and see some movement. I don't know if I'm reaching the end of the range of movement or if it's hanging up on something, but it's not unlatching. I guess I can try to unhook the rod that goes to the fold-down mechanism...

Also, I broke the plastic bushing that holds the rod from the outside handle into the mechanism lever. Is another one obtainable, or am I stuck trying to jimmy-rig it?

Here's a picture of the tool if anyone is interested:
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2021 at 12:45AM
Originally posted by <div><br></div><div>Also, I broke the plastic bushing that holds the rod from the outside handle into the mechanism lever. Is another one obtainable, or am I stuck trying to jimmy-rig it?</div><div><br></div>[/QUOTE

Also, I broke the plastic bushing that holds the rod from the outside handle into the mechanism lever. Is another one obtainable, or am I stuck trying to jimmy-rig it?

[/QUOTE wrote:

Here ya go: 

I'm sure some of the other auto parts stores have these as well.

Good luck! 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2021 at 3:05AM
Did you get the window down?
Years ago on a Plymouth wagon, we had a similar problem but were able to get the window down. My dad fought the latches forever,  until eventually realizing it was the hinges that were so rusted that they had basically welded tight. Once he started spraying those down daily, the gate finally started moving.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2021 at 8:11AM
Finally some success! I ended up unhooking the rod between the latch mechanism and the center inside handle. Once that was unhooked, I was able to get the door to open sideways. So I guess there's something going on with the center handle mechanism, but I won't worry about that until I start to worry about the window, since having both functions is a "nice to have" as long as one of the functions works.

I didn't get the window down yet. I want to be sure I would be able to get it to move back up if I get it to move all the way down.

I grabbed the Dorman 75451 clip, but it's not a 100% fit. The part of that clip that clips onto the rod isn't the right size or in the right position to be able to actually hook onto the rod, and the shape of the thing keeps the threaded-on piece on the rod from sitting flat. I had to file down the clip and then reuse the metal clip under it to hold the rod in place. But the whole thing wouldn't stay in the hole in the lever — I could get it to stay and open the door over and over with it unlocked, but then I locked it and pulled on the handle as a test, and the clip pulled right out of the hole in the lever. So what I ended up doing is using the Dorman clip as a bushing, and then I drilled a small hole in the piece that threads onto the rod, then once it was in place, put a small cotter pin through that hole, so now it won't pull out. It passed my  "pull on the handle with the door locked" test, so I'm confident enough in my fix that I put the inside panel back onto the door. That said, I didn't put screws into the two bottom corner holes that are so hard to get to with the door closed.
 Post Reply Post Reply