The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valve cover bolts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2022 at 11:22AM
That's a smart idea, remove the fan before loosening any engine mount.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2022 at 12:11PM
HALLELUJAH, PRAISE JESUS AND PASS THE AMMUNITION!!! 
The bolt is out!!! What I ended up doing is I took a cheap 1/4" drive socket (made in Taiwan I think) and ground it down until it was only tall enough to still grip the bolt head. Then I filed the drive end more open so I would have some "slop" with my swivel and extension. A very large pry bar against the A/C case and the head would open it up just enough to get that micro socket down there from the back. I work alone so I must have looked about a coordinated as a monkey screwing a stampeding elephant, but I got it!!!
Then I cleaned everything really well and used Permatex black RTV to make gaskets for the valve covers. I reinstalled them (without the cork gaskets, only the RTV) and put my bolts back in. Without the cork gasket, the bolts are too long. 

F.M.L.Ouch

BTW, 1976 Ranchero GT will be listed for sale real soon. Wink
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2022 at 5:30PM
Washers to go underneath the bolt heads are cheap.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2022 at 12:36AM
Good work, some things take special thought and ingenuity. Well done.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2022 at 1:16PM
Congrats on getting that out! You have some good determination. I would have had an unrepairable hole in that case only 30 minutes into it Wink LOL
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 4:04AM
Glad you finally got it out, but sucks about the bolts being too long. Why not just pull the covers and install gaskets and it's done.  Hopefully you don't actually sell the car.  I am sure you will hate it less in time.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 12:31PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

... Why not just pull the covers and install gaskets and it's done.  Hopefully you don't actually sell the car.  I am sure you will hate it less in time.

It took me two months to get the bolt out. I will not fight it for another two months getting the bolt back in!

I have come to the obvious conclusion that the Ford factory may not have made these cars back then with very strict tolerances. Some other cars with the same engine may have more room, all I know is that mine is super tight!!!!
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2022 at 3:37AM
Originally posted by kychevyguy kychevyguy wrote:

It took me two months to get the bolt out. I will not fight it for another two months getting the bolt back in!

I have come to the obvious conclusion that the Ford factory may not have made these cars back then with very strict tolerances. Some other cars with the same engine may have more room, all I know is that mine is super tight!!!!

I figured with your new tool you made,  it was not nearly as bad to get that bolt in and out now.  Are your valve covers reinstalled with the RTV only or did you remove them once you found out the bolts were too long? 

You are correct that the tolerances were very large for cars of this era.  Further, I am sure things like the motor mounts settling with time also probably moved things a bit.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2022 at 2:15AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Originally posted by kychevyguy kychevyguy wrote:

I figured with your new tool you made,  it was not nearly as bad to get that bolt in and out now.  Are your valve covers reinstalled with the RTV only or did you remove them once you found out the bolts were too long? 

You are correct that the tolerances were very large for cars of this era.  Further, I am sure things like the motor mounts settling with time also probably moved things a bit.  
Right now, I ran the bolts in (except for THAT ONE) just finger tight, but I have great coverage with the RTV. I let it just sit in the garage for the past couple days while we were in the sub-freezing temperatures. I plan on trimming the bolts slightly if required after I add some spread type hold down brackets.
Funny part is that after all of this....a local Lincoln Mark V with a low mileage good running 460 has come up for sale fairly cheap and so I am contemplating my options right now. I plan on driving the Ranchero to the Carlisle meet in June, so....
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12