The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v accessory help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidneyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v accessory help?
    Posted: 28-December-2021 at 6:42AM
I'm rebuilding my 73 gran torino and trying to make any 'upgrades' as safe and correct as possible. I decided to get an aftermarket control box for any added accessories such as fans and dash camera etc. The box is auxbeam 6 gang switch panel with fuses. The box needs 12v ignition source which I had running to battery for testing but I'm ready to make it solid. The pervious owner did the one wire alternator swap and I've put an electric distributor in it. I want to know if I can tie into the coil wire or should I use another source for the 12v source that the box requires. The box is linked here. https://auxbeam.com/products/qp006238?variant=39679484985549&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiAiKuOBhBQEiwAId_sK2wQk79oAxi5SK4k9cc3qu_3J8W7EwHpfemO73hq04izfX-zKsg1yBoC9l8QAvD_BwE
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 8:34AM
Depends.
Did previous owner install a relay that connects directly to the battery, and is controlled by the ignition switch? (Typically, but not always, electronic ignition (coils) requires full 12V).
If so and appropriate wire gauge was used, you could tap off that circuit.
GKF
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 12:11PM
i wouldn't suggest tapping off the wire to the coil, asking for big trouble there. i see where the box has an ACC connection, i suspect that allows the box itself to transfer power when the car is on and not transfer power when the car is off, for safety and to prevent draining the battery accidentally. sometimes there are extra  / unused terminals on the ignition switch that you can tap off of. you want the the switched / load side not the supply / battery side. do you have a multi-meter or test light (yet)?

aside from an extra terminal off the ignition switch, some cars are wired to support optional accessories that did not get installed on the car during assy, you may find an open multiple port connector behind the dash on the ACC circuit. i don't want to tell you wrong so lets get a look at a wiring diagram for a wire color to look for such a plug Wink also, pretty much all cars are pre-wired for electric windows even if they didn't get ordered, that wiring in the drivers side kick panel or under the dash could make a good power source?

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-December-2021 at 12:17PM
72 GT Ute

Sidneyblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidneyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 1:16PM
Thanks! I do have a multimeter I can use and I think I know the wires in question. I have some wires I didn't know what they went to so I typed them out of the way, I'll have to find a wire diagram to confirm but I should be able to use them. Also you are correct on the acc wire being a safety factor for drainage prevention, that's why I needed an ignition 12v instead of battery source. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidneyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 1:29PM
For the distributor and electronic coil I installed then using the stock coil wire and ran a small extension to the fender for mounting it over there. I made it with a but connector and had plans on redoing after I made sure it would work right. If I could I was going to solder the acc line in when I did that but wanted to know of that would be good or would they weaken to much doing it that way. For the alternator I don't see a separate or after market relay for the alternator anywhere. As far as I can tell they took the wires off the stock voltage regulator and ran them or new wires in the harness to run the new alternator. I only say this because the voltage regulator was still there with the wires cut off and I didn't find the other end to them. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 2:16PM
if you're needing to power up one side of the fuse block for keyed power... check the main harness by the driver side kick panel there are several heavy wires there to test... yellow, and black/yellow stripe, i dont remember which were direct power or keyed power but a place to start looking anyways...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidneyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 3:48PM
Thanks I'll start testing tomorrow. And I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me.
 Post Reply Post Reply