The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rear Brake Drums - 72 Owners Can you Please Help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear Brake Drums - 72 Owners Can you Please Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2022 at 10:39AM
Thanks for the update.  They look very similar to the factory 10 x 2" finned drums.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
P-61 Black Widow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2022 at 5:54AM
Hi,

FYI also, some additional info, with the same Raybestos 1659R drums and Centric 112.05810, HD riveted 2.5” shoes and deeper backplates, which have Ford oval stamp and also text Wagner P-55265 / P-55264, so looks like they were originally made for Bronco or F-100, or so famous “Shelby”, as they were advertised (and priced, but I could avoid that in the end before buying) in e-bay when I found these; however, at least the fitment is perfect

So, not original to my 1972 wagon, as those were all rusted and worn out beyond repair, but similar. Original drums were finned too. Wagon came from factory with C6, typical small bearing 9” rear, 3.00. Ford diff. traction lock included, also with trailer package II option and HD load suspension

The wheel cylinder I will use is the pictured 15/16”; Centric 134.64001 / 134.64002 with very good fitment. Even Raybestos 9025/9026 1” will fit nicely, only the typical 7/8” seems to be a bit small

These 2.5” shoes will utilize almost in full the drum machined area, when centered properly and in place, here laying just in the bottom of the drum to show the difference

Hope this helps.....Ermm
Harry
1972 Gran Torino 429 STW BlackWidow
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2022 at 11:52AM
Thanks for posting this info.  Did your wagon originally have 2" wide rear brakes?  What engine was it equipped with originally?  Those backing plates you got look mint.  Getting the new backing plates is an easy upgrade to any '72 for wider rear shoes.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
P-61 Black Widow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2022 at 6:29AM
Hi Vince,
Original engine was 400 Clev +C6, but something strange there were with those rotten backplates, as they seemed to be a bit deeper than what normal 2" brake shoes would need. Brake shoes were wider than 2", but not as wide as 2.5" - difference is/was visible. 

So, I assume that somebody had replaced the backplates already earlier - with something "close to match" and with a bit wider brake shoes, as these will fit to the larger size finned drum anyway. 

So, to get everything back as really should be, I hunted these correct deeper backplates in the first place, and yes, I did find a very decent pair.

I have another wagon & rear axle, that is from an 1972, 351 Clev + C4 car and those brakes are original and surely 10x2". These have the larger size finned drums also.
Harry
1972 Gran Torino 429 STW BlackWidow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12