The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DuraSpark vs Pertronix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DuraSpark vs Pertronix
    Posted: 21-January-2022 at 2:44PM
I have a Pertronix Ignitor 1 on my 1962 Fairlane 260 V8, with the Flame Thrower coil and the resistor wire replaced with a regular wire. I'm happy with how that setup works, so I bought the same for the '72, with the idea of instead of worrying about the resistor wire, using that feed to trigger a relay to power the coil. Come to find out someone converted my points ignition to a DuraSpark-type setup at some point. So my question is, is it worth it to pull that stuff out and put in the Pertronix setup? Or am I best to stick with the DuraSpark-type setup of unknown age?
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 5:36AM
how well is the Duraspark installation done? the nice thing about Duraspark is that parts are available almost anywhere. the temporary fix for a Pertronix system going down is to revert back to the previous system, usually by carrying a set of points in the glove box. to install the Pertronix you would need a points distributor to host the module, or at minimum convert your D-S dizzy to points by swapping out the top half and advance plate? i think i'd wait to see which show drops 1st, you need the new module to replace the one in the 62 or the D-S lets you down.

being in CA whoever installed the D-S had access to the 'Red Grommet' systems, some say they are the best D-S's of them all,
what is the color of the strain relief grommet where the wires go into the fender mounted D-S module box?
72 GT Ute

Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 1:11PM
It's a dark blue. I have no idea if it's a Ford box or aftermarket. No lettering on the box. I don't know how well the installation was done other than that the engine runs. But instead of the box being plugged in, wires were cut and spliced in. I also don't know if the original distributor was converted to duraspark, a duraspark distributor was installed to the existing engine, or the engine was replaced and came with a duraspark (but the emissions sticker on the valve cover says 1972). I don't know what's original since the Marti report said 351C-2V/C4 but the trans oil pan is definitely a C6 pan. Since the starter works fine, I don't really want to pull it to find the block casting numbers.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 1:15PM
I should mention it has the smaller distributor cap with the female connectors on it. I bought a new cap and rotor listed for a 72 points distributor, and that's what is on it now.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 3:56PM
i found this somewhere on the interweb

Black -1974 Technically not DuraSpark But electronic ignition 3 Power feeds
Green -1975 Technically not DuraSpark But electronic ignition 3 power Feeds
Blue -76-86 DuraSpark II Standard module
Red -77-79 DuraSpark I Adjustable dwell no ballast resistor High Energy Ignition
Yellow -1979-91 Altitude compensation 3rd harness on module
Brown -1979 Altitude compensation Power wires are reversed in plug to standard
White - 1979-1985, Spark retard on start

a factory installed Duraspark on a 351C would be rare but not impossible. actually it would be the pre-Duraspark 'Electronic Ignition' in 1974. from mid 1971 on the cast code for the 351C block was the same, D2AE-CA whether it was a 2bbl, 4bbl or Cobra Jet. you might get a glimpse of the cast code w/o pulling the starter, if you ever have the opportunity
72 GT Ute

SeattleJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2022 at 3:05PM
FWIW I ran my pertronix stock look distibutor full 12v and then with resistor wire and noticed no difference other than my factory tach not working Lol!
 Post Reply Post Reply