The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help Trying TO Buy Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Torinorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help Trying TO Buy Torino
    Posted: 10-March-2009 at 1:07PM
I have been a fan of the 70 Torino, Fairlane, and Falcon body style since I was a little kid. Recently I took a day trip up to the Poconos with my girlfriend and saw a yellow 70 or 71 Torino GT sports roof sitting in the back of a used car lot. It was on 3 flats and had an inspection sticker from 04 on it. I checked out as much as I could, it has a 351 windsor with a 4 barrel and Im guessing its hi-comp becasue if says premium fuel only on the air cleaner. The car has minimal rot on the quarters probably a 4x4 hole and a little in the corners of the doors, theres about a  10x10 hole in the floor on both sides towards the rocker panel. Do these cars suffer from Cowl rot like the 60's mustangs did? I noticed just above the windshiel wiper motor had like a thin rot line going across are any of those parts reproduced? Do they suffer from shock tower and frame rail rot? Also the interior is pretty ratty does anyone sell a kit to do it?  What other spots should I check on it before buying it? Whats a fair price? I havent seen it run yet but from what Ive been told it runs very strong. Basically I just got half way done replacing all the sheet metal (cowl rott, full floors, lower shock tower patches, one frame rail in the rear, lower door skins and lower quarters) on my 65 Mustang and Im like half way losing interest. Then I just saw this one.
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 1:29PM
these years torinos are prone to cowl rot, and no repro parts available. very little repro sheet metal is avail too. go to dearborn classics.com and check out some prices. interior kits are avail but pricey.   unless its under $1000, or a 4 speed,  stay away from it.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

70Torinorules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Torinorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 5:08PM
Is there anyone else besides dearborn that sells parts I feel like they are over priced. Granted I kno this car cant be as cheap as my Stang' was to restore but even their Mustang sheet metal seemed more expensive. Doing my own work will save me money but to me it seems like the biggest challenge is lack of aftermarket support for this car. 
70Torinorules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Torinorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 5:10PM
Also as far as interior, cowl, or floor parts, do any of them cross over to Mustang parts? It has bucket seats and Im pretty sure it was floor shift, it was raining so I took a quick look cant remember if it has a 4 speed or not but it does have air and power brakes, were discs an option on the GT? or Standard?
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 11:43PM

there is not much else support for these besides Dearborn, maybe Autokrafters, but its stll expensive.. Power discs are an option but it doesnt help the value much.   nearly nothing but engine  and trans parts are same as mustang.

-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Mr. Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2009 at 3:20AM

Parts sources are Dearborn Classics, Autorafters, Melvins in Conyers Ga (my personal favorite), and Macs. The cowl rot on these is very extensive and as stated above, there are no reproductions on those parts available. The shape of the Torino cowl is nothing like the Falcon/Fairlane/Mustang who, by the way, all can be reapired with the Mustang cowl kit. I did it on my Falcon and Fairlane.  The support for these cars is very thin since it hasn't caught on like the Mustangs, Falcon and now Fairlanes. Maybe someday but as for me, I just sold my '71 formal roof andf there is no way I would ever think about anything newer than a '68 anything!

Later!

Mr. Ed

1971 Torino 500 302 C4
Mr. Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2009 at 3:24AM
But if you do decide to buy it, I have a few parts left over from my project. They are posted in the classified section above.

Later!
Mr. Ed
1971 Torino 500 302 C4
 Post Reply Post Reply