Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LTD II s FOUND

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2011 at 4:36PM
If the stripe at green is the correct pattern (there were a few for the Sports) I'd probably grab it and use it as a good pattern for a vinyl guy. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2011 at 5:18AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

the wife wants to know about the Charger in the background!!!!!

The photos are about 8 years old now and it's also about 500 miles away from here, so....sorry. Big smile
David
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2011 at 7:04AM
anybody have a mount for the vac can Mines ears are broken off. 79ltd2s
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2011 at 2:22PM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

Vacuum can is missing on the left inner fender. You can see its mount there.
found the can! not rusted and vac hose still attached. it was resting on the wiring bulkhead at the firewall. just needs to be re-crimped back to the bracket.

Also, I got the wiper switch fixed, no more need for the nut.

going to try and drive this car home tomorrow.   keep ya posted!

I am updating my parts needed list, check the classifieds
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2011 at 8:31AM
drove it home today. it drove nice. except for the choke was still on all the way home, died at every stoplight
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2011 at 12:07PM
allright apparently i need a refesher course in how the choke pull off is supposed to work. 
 it holds vacuum, I can use my vacuum tester gun an activate it.   its line goes to the base of the carb. I imagine ported vacuum, so when you punch it it gives it a shot and pulls back?    well its not 'stong' enough it seems. that or my linkage is a little sticky.

when it does pull off the car dies.
only 35 degrees here today, only other thing i accomplished was re-attaching the vac can

-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2011 at 12:17PM
also meant to show a picture of the Original unused spare tire. its a General.  I get my rocks off on this kind of stuffTongue
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2011 at 12:57PM
the choke pull-off activates when the engine starts from direct manifold vacuum. all it does is open the choke blade the specified amount so the engine can run on full choke

it's the bi-metal coil that opens the choke fully as the engine warms up. some bi-metal coils are heated by a choke stove(air tube runs through the exhaust crossover of the intake) or use electric voltage, some that use electric voltage are around 5v, some are 12v. if the air tube style has a compromised tube the choke may not ever fully open, same as if there's too little or no voltage to the electric style  

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-March-2011 at 12:59PM
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2011 at 1:28PM
ok, thanks. i can see that now.  well then the choke is sticking, i have to bump the plastic lever on the inboard side of the electric choke to get it to idle down, but then it will die.  may have to adjust the main idle, and figure out whats sticking....  I havent messed with a bone stock engine for so long.  this thing has vac lines everywhere!
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2011 at 2:49AM
Both my ltd2 take for ever to idle down. The one is rebuilt.
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2011 at 10:18AM

Back in 2002, my 78 LTD II had 42k original miles on its 302 and it would idle down just fine. I should have run Ultra octane in it though, because I was getting spark knock quite regularly on regular 87 crap. Today, I put nothing but Ultra in the Grand Marquis and it runs great. Very worth the extra $$$.

When I had my 73 Mustang with the 302 and 26k original miles, it would not idle down. The bottom end of the choke tube had rusted through. The end was still stuck and I had to drill that out before the new one would go in.

I'm going to mention a little something here that some people have agreed with and some have not. My family had trouble with the carbs and automatic chokes on our 74 Torino with 302 and 82 LTD with 302 (that one had the 7200 vv carb). When I bought my 73 Mustang with 302, I was having similar problems. One day, I sat down and read all the way through the owner's manual. Then had a bit of an 'aha' moment.

We had all been starting our Fords as follows when cold:

1) Push accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (one or more times, depending on number of days since ran last).

2) Turn key from off position to start.

The owner's manual said that the proper procedure was:

1) Turn key to on position.

2) Push accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.

3) Turn key to start position.

As soon as I began following the owner's manual procedure, the problems cleared up and never came back.

Some people have said that not turning to 'on' position first will screw up the carb. Others I have talked to said they have always started their old Fords the way we did in the past and never had any problems.

Confused

The only other thing that might be worth mentioning is that I have always kept all emissions gear and other original equipment in place and intact. If something has been removed and is missing, I track down a replacement asap. I am kind of a stickler about originality, for my own vehicles. The only exception was the 78 Bronco I had, but I didn't own that for long. 

Given the opportunity, I HOARD items like snorkel hoses. LOL

David
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2011 at 10:38AM
Thanks for the tip fordnmerc. I will try that too.   I think i may have figured out what some of the problem is. Looks like the base gasket is leaking some. So i may have a vacuum leak.

-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

johnnyride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2011 at 11:54AM
Nice find on that LTDII.  I remember seeing it for sale.  You grabbed it fast.  I love the way the Sports look, but I couldn't pass up my T Top car.  Congrats again!
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2011 at 1:01PM
Originally posted by johnnyride johnnyride wrote:

Nice find on that LTDII.  I remember seeing it for sale.  You grabbed it fast.  I love the way the Sports look, but I couldn't pass up my T Top car.  Congrats again!
you dont see them much for sale, had to have it!
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2011 at 1:02PM
Please all future posts are now on the Project thread page, Thanks!
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2011 at 1:28AM
Nice car, and it is cool that you are going to keep it stock looking.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
LTDsport2 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTDsport2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2011 at 8:19AM
How do you post a picture?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234