The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The next project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The next project
    Posted: 28-May-2009 at 2:49PM
Heres our next project.  This one is quite a lot rougher than the Torino we restored for my brother.  But, its all there and nothing has been touched.  It's a 429, C6, 3.50 traction lock, competition suspension (according to the Marti Report).  The paint is 6E Medium Bright Yellow, ginger interior, bucket seats, console, factory air, laser stripe (missing).  Probably the worst part of the whole car is the passenger side door and a bad spot on the roof above the windshield.  When I got it, the gas tank was about 3/4 full of the sweetest smelling gas you could imagine.  It'd been sitting since 1981, so, that meant time for a new gas tank and fuel lines.  I soaked the cylinders with lubricant, rebuilt the carb, changed the oil, plugs, wires, and distributor.  Set the timing and it started up.  Smoked quite a lot at first, then settled down and I think I put about 75 miles on it the first night or about 3/4 tank of gas.  Fuel economy was pretty bad that night, but I think every time I stopped, I kept trying to remove the old rubber that was left on the tires.  This ones gonna take some time, but once again it'll be worth it to me. 
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 3:10PM
Looks like a nice project. Is it a factory 429? Keep us posted.
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
1973 429 torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2009 at 3:33AM
yes, its a factory "N" code 429 car.  The only thing I saw that was replaced was the coil.  The 429's in 1973 were pretty weak compared to earlier as you all know.  Give me some time, pretty sure we'll be able to get the most out of it.  I'm not too crazy about the yellow color.  Maybe once it gets repainted and a new laser stripe that'll change my mind.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2009 at 5:17AM
That's tight.

I wish I could afford to buy that other yellow 73 someone posted on here for a grand. Think it was in Okiehomie. I could really make the guy down the street jealous with that. He's got a blue mullet Camaro (78-81) and a lead sled '51 Ford. He jeers at me when he drives by 'cause I gots 4 doors. But the hood is open on that Camaro more often than get gets to sit behind the wheel!
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2009 at 2:15PM
Solid base to start with, some nice options on it!

George
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 12:03AM
Looks GREAT!  Keep us posted!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
 Post Reply Post Reply