The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'72 GTS - New owner, bit of help required.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '72 GTS - New owner, bit of help required.
    Posted: 15-June-2009 at 5:56AM
Hello to all!

Myself & my wife have recently relocated from the UK, and I was originally looking at '69 or 71 Mustang Mach 1's but I've just picked up a '72 Gran Torino Sport, which needs a bit of "finishing off" - mainly the interior!

But, can anyone reccommend a source for the shop manual (I really need the wiring diagram - the only gauge that works is the speedo - which over-reads!)

It's got a 351C in it with an FMX (I believe) - I also need a set of badges (all of the trunk ones, including the flipper) and also the radiator finishing trim (the alloy one - does anyone know any places that can repair a bent one?)

Also, I realise that it's an older car, but I'd appreciate some advice on the handling (or what's available) - I've had a trawl through the net & some threads on here, but I'm after a handling kit which would stiffen it up quite a bit. I'm used to Alfa-Romeos and TVR's so it's a little bit "soft" at the minute! I'd e-mailed Hotchkis to see if they had anything available but they didn't :( any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

I'm sure I'll be on here a bit more from now!

Thanks in advance

Neil 
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2009 at 8:45AM

Neil,

Welcome to the site.

The best source I've found for reproduction GTS parts is Autokrafters out of Virginia.

Their selection and service are pretty good.  When I've had problems, they've taken care of me immediately.  Another option is Dearborn Classics, but they are out of Oregon and prices/shipping are bit higher.  http://www.dearbornclassics.com/

Both vendors have the shop manuals.  Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams aren't the best.  This is what I used when I rewired my 72 GTS.  Definitely worth the money for the color, laminated, and easy to read.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-72-FORD-TORINO-RANCHERO-11X17-COLOR-WIRING-DIAGRAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem53db59a45cQQitemZ360162370652QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Good Luck,
Paul~

1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2009 at 12:58PM
The factory repair manuals are available on line. I got a used set on ebay and they have been well worth the price of admission.

Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2009 at 4:02PM
None of your gauges work? Maybe the main molex plug is unplugged at the back of the gauge cluster housing. The speedo is mechanical and is driven by a cable from the transmission. 
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2009 at 8:06AM
Originally posted by GranTorinoMan GranTorinoMan wrote:

None of your gauges work? Maybe the main molex plug is unplugged at the back of the gauge cluster housing. The speedo is mechanical and is driven by a cable from the transmission. 
Thanks to everyone for their advice! I wondered if the plug had been disconnected off the rear of the binacle - or if it's got the wrong plug on it - hence the requirement for the manual (not that I could do much at the mo - my tools are mid atlantic!) I'd thought that the speedo was off the tranny - especially as it's over-reading! (any ideas what a stock rear end for a GTS should be?) I've got my eye on a set of manuals on evil bay - hopefully I'll get them!
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2009 at 8:56AM
Here are the rear end codes for the 1972 GTS:

Rear Axle Codes
Conventional Lock Ratio
2 K 2.75
6 0 (zero) 3.00
9 R 3.25
A S 3.50
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 10:40AM
Originally posted by picon3 picon3 wrote:

Here are the rear end codes for the 1972 GTS:

Rear Axle Codes
Conventional Lock Ratio
2 K 2.75
6 0 (zero) 3.00
9 R 3.25
A S 3.50
Thanks for that, I'll have a look!
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2009 at 5:31AM
I have seen on Ebay factory Ford wiring diagrams available, and I have a few sets of the diagrams, I have 1972, 1973 and I want to say 1975 and 1976 wiring diagrams, the original Ford fold outs that used to be in spiral binders.

If you have issue finding the wiring diagrams I will try to dig mine up. They are quite large fold outs but good to have...I think I spent $30 or so on Ebay.

I would suggest also getting a set of Ford service manuals. Ebay seems to have them pretty regularly. There are also CDs of the set, but as I have found, not all the info from all catalogs got transfered to the PDF version.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply