The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power drain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 ranchero 500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power drain
    Posted: 12-March-2004 at 10:36PM
My 73 Ranchero has an on again off again power drain. It will go a couple of months just fine , then overnite, battery will be dead. I know that these problems are difficult to pin point, but I am just looking for places to start looking. When the battery is hooked up, and i put  meter on it, I can watch the voltage drop about a 100th per second. I am not real familiar with ANY electrical problems, so i ask, this, when i put my meter on the voltage reg, it is pulling 3.5 to 4, without the car running. is this right? I want to take this car on  trip soon and would really like to get thhis resolved. thanx,Kelly
This is my 68 Firebird & 73 Ranchero website. http://photo.starblvd.net/rkm1003
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2004 at 4:47AM

does it have a clock or alarm on it! does it have underhood light on it! i would try those first! goodluck!

Ernesto

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
73 ranchero 500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 ranchero 500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2004 at 6:33AM
It has the clock and light. I didn't think it was those because when i disconnect the battery, it "sparked" like it it was pulling alot more power than that.  I went ahead and took the battery back to Oreillys(just got it yesterday, and it was dead this morning). they charged the battery and checked the altenator and it was not putting out much,(there is a joke in there........anyway), i put a higher output alt in and it was putting out 17 volts........back to Oreillys and put in a new voltage reg. At this point, seems to have solved the problem.......stay tuned! Kelly
This is my 68 Firebird & 73 Ranchero website. http://photo.starblvd.net/rkm1003
guilf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2004 at 6:21PM
Just stating the obvious, but it could be an intermittent grounding problem. Make sure all cables between battery and starter are intact and not making connection with the frame, etc. I've had this happen, so I thought I'd put it out there...Al
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2004 at 10:27AM
 I had that problem with a 73 couger I changed out the voltage regulator with a solid state unit and the problem went away.
rkm1003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkm1003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2004 at 1:54AM
Update......replaced voltage regulator, and upgraded to bigger altenator, problem solved. I put airshocks on her, hitched up auto trailer and went from Corpus Christi to Illinios to pick up a '69 Firebird. 2100 miles round trip in 59 hours. I just want to say that this is one bad*ss truck! Got 15mpg on the way up and 13 mpg pulling trailer and car on the way back......not too shabby. I had to keep looking back to make sure the trailer was still there, pulled real nice! Man I love my truck! Kelly
 Post Reply Post Reply