The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$1700 Sport hood on Ebay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $1700 Sport hood on Ebay
    Posted: 23-July-2009 at 2:41PM
 Well, I guess the movies (Fast & Furious, Gran Torino) have brought attention to the 72 Torino and parts prices are climbing through the roof. Just saw on Ebay a $1700 Buy It Now price with a $799 starting bid on a 72 Sport hood.
 I havn't been watching the 72 Torino car prices but if this hood is any indication of what a restoration is going cost on one of these cars, you'll need to take out a second mortgage to do it! I've paid some good prices for some NOS pieces for my car but it may take a little longer before it gets done if I have pay triple for decent parts.

Anyway, I've listed 2 hoods in the classified section. No, not $1700 either. I'm a real person. Open to trades of a stock flat hood for a 72 or other parts. See ad if interested.

Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2009 at 2:47PM
$1700?!?  I paid less then that for my '73, AND that's counting shipping!!!  LOL

I really hope the Torino doesn't become the next Chevelle, Probably never be that popular, but who knows?

George
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2009 at 3:26PM
It better not!
I am not done with mine yet!!!

and want to do some more of them!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2009 at 11:57PM
yeah, i saw that crack induced auction.  and the damend thing is even RUSTY!!!  I mean come on, its not even nos and even then i wouldnt come close to paying that for an NOS one!
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2009 at 12:40AM
No, you guys got it ALL WRONG!  It's "only" $1400!!! Dead
Well, the seller's name is nascar crazy bob..emphasis on the crazy part I guess.  Does not mean it will sell, you can ask all you want.  We should call the police, his guy is obviously on drugs!!! LOL
A few weeks back I googled Ford Ranchero for sale, and I came up with one for $17,000 -- and get this-- It was NOT stock, NOT restored, had gaudy cobras and gold and green paint--AND RUST--lots of it. 
Nothing special, 351W, no special options.  I had to read the ad twice to see if the guy was serious...he was!  So there is no accounting for asking prices.  I just hope this isn't a trend for us Torino lovers!!!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2009 at 1:27AM
I got lots of Sport hoods.
Hmmmmmmmm, I could pay a lot of bills...Wink
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2009 at 3:11AM

I've been watching asking prices/auctions/sales on 72-73 GTSs and there's definite upward movement.  Here's the info from a different post:

In the August, 2009 Collector Car Market Review, the 1972-1973 Gran Torino Sport is profiled on page #5 with the following quote: "From an investment standpoint, GTS values have continued to tick upward".  "While unlikely that it will reach the levels of older 429CJ and SCJ Torinos, with its striking looks, good smog era performance and a favorable buyer demographic, price support should continue." 

Also, as I mentioned to Chris,  I was told today that scrap metal has popped back up to $5.60 per 100 lbs and guys are crushing stuff as fast as they can here in North Carolina because they're afraid that the "bottom will fall out of the market".  (Last year, metal went to $12.50/100lbs).  So there are two forces at work.  Increased demand for the cars themselves and at the same time, metal buyers crushing everything in sight again (two 1973 GTS fastbacks and a 78 ranchero went into the crusher by the same owner of the 73 GTS that we stripped earlier this month).  This can only  mean one thing-higher costs for running cars and increased costs for surviving parts.  Buy 'em now while you can.

Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 24-July-2009 at 3:16AM
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2009 at 3:15PM

Well now that our "wise goverment officials" have offered the new $4500 "cash for clunkers" incentives, I would expect that the price of scrap iron will bottom out soon again. You guys need to read requirements of these incentives even if your not looking for a new car or truck. 

Every vehicle that is turned in to the dealer needs to be register for the past year, in running condition, pass inspection and then the dealer must drain the oil and replace it with several quarts of sodium silicate. As the engine runs and generates heat, the solution evaporates it leaves deposits of dehydrated sodium silicate in the lube system, destroying the parts causing the motor to seize. 

Scrap facilities can then strip the car and sell parts but not the block or complete drive train.
The title is then stamped: JUNK AUTOMOBILE, CARS.GOV
Check it out here:
I have a 95 Tahoe that has been a spare vehicle and plow truck in the winter for nthe last 4 years and it has never let me down. If I bought a new Dodge truck it is worth $9000 towards it. While this sounds good, I would be getting into more debt by having to make payments on a vehicle I don't really need and if my wife loses her job due to her health, I'll have to give it back and will have nothing. I think my Tahoe is worth $3500 anyway. I just don't see how this is going to help the working people. If you couldn't afford a new car before then how is a $4500 incentive going to help?
Sorry for the rant.
It just pisses me off how our goverment can manipulate people and we just seem to sit and take it up the ass.    
I feel better now, thank you.             Ron
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2009 at 9:40PM
Well, Ron, I don't feel better. 
The government is running the country into the toilet....I know ALOT of people from all over the US, and there are some very, very, seriously pissed off people right now....as for me, I am still not working permanently (I have a job as an electrician right now), and if I get back I am certainly not buying a new car for a while.  Alot of days I pull a 12 hour shift (I am doing one today) plus I drive an hour each way to work...but ultimately I am grateful to have work.  I have never been layed off in over 30 years....dismal crap
They (Politicians as a whole) do not understand the regular guy-- they are so far removed from that.  Besides, they have been too busy fleecing America to even care what Americans think... 
Rant returned!  Sorry about that!     Chris 

72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2009 at 3:18AM

Well said and rant accepted. I was not saying I was happy with the situation of our country but that I got a little steam off thats all. Didn't mean to hurt any one's feelings. We are in dire straits and our goverment officials are out for themselves, not the people that put thier trust in them at the polls.

I am sorry for your situation. As people get wiser hopefully things will get better. Most politicians will not be part of that solution.
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2009 at 3:55AM
Thanks!  I will survive.......no need to be sorry, I am in good company.  Lots of good people are out right now. 
As for me, I just want to get on with it (my career & life).  I am an impatient man when it comes to these kind of things...or should I say I am an impatient man with many things LOL
But anyway....it does seem that prices on Torino parts have been rising overall.  I figure this will drive some marginal cars to be parted and the rest to be restored, so it may be a better thing for the surviving population of Torinos overall, as the marginal cars might have just sat & rotted (even more) and then be converted to scrap without folks saving the hard- to- find pieces.
So maybe the silver lining is that the parts off the junkers will at least be saved for their value, and restorable cars will finally be restored?

Post Reply Post Reply