The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'72 -'73 front clip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threeonthetree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '72 -'73 front clip?
    Posted: 24-July-2009 at 11:50PM
Hi all
I'm new to this site and it looks awesome. I presently own a 67 f100 shorty with a  352 and am considering buying a Ranchero. I'm curious about the Torino/Ranchero'72 -'73 front clip. I have seen what I believe to be a 72 front end on what the owner claims to be a '73 with the original sheet metal.  I prefer the 72 look and may consider buying this one. Were any early 73s built with a 72 nose? (Doesn't seen reasonable) or does the owner just not know what he has? I would appreciate any info/photos.

thanks
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2009 at 1:44AM
Welcome to the site!

1972 nose is all by itself. Early 73 is STILL a 73 nose.
here is a 1972 GRAN Torino

Here is a 1973 GRAN Torino

here is a 1972 Torino(NOT a GRAN Torino)

1972 GRAN Torino has the wide open "shark mouth" grill, the bumper drops down to go around the grill opening and contours with the nose and into the fenders.
1973 GRAN Torino has a less fierce "shark mouth" but as you can see the bumper is STRAIGHT across the nose.
the 1972 Torino(Not GRAN Torino) has the grill the stretches completely across the entire front of the car(not seperate grill and headlight buckets), using the same 1972 GRAN Torino bumper.

2nd answer... YES you can have a 73 with a 72 nose or vice versa, NOT an easy task but has been done... frame horns need to be replaced and/or reworked to put swap the noses in either direction.

Hope the pic links help with identifying it.
Check the normal rot areas... behind the rear wheels on the quarters, trunk floor boards in the lower corners, and on these cars look HARD at the frame where the lower arms on the rear end connect to the frame, also look at and tap on the lower portion of the B-Pillar(lower corner down at the sill plate area.

Good luck, let us know what happens!
Carl
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
threeonthetree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threeonthetree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2009 at 2:22AM

Carl,

thanks for the info and links. Yep this is what i figgered.  I have only seen the side photo and am waiting for more photos.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2009 at 6:40PM
To be honest, the swap involves hacking the frame rails off the 73, and doing front frame horns to mount up the 1972 specific bumper.
It can be done, just depends on how bad you want to do the conversion.

Andy
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply