Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2018 at 6:49AM
Russ, have you considered using Air lift air bags?  This way you could run whatever spring you want in the rear, but if you have a load, pump up the air bags.  I ran them on one of my old cars, and they worked pretty well. Plus you can stick with a decent shock rather than those overload shocks. 

A cargo coil would be a good choice for a Ranchero, but I'd stick with one of the lighter (ie non-wagon) springs.  Took much stiffness in the rear will make the ride poor and affect the handling.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2018 at 4:56PM
i'd go with an add on air bag set up like vince suggested Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2018 at 2:11PM
You guys are probably right.
I'll have to look into those, I know nothing about them at all. Embarrassed
Thanks,
Russ
chris5769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris5769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2018 at 6:11AM
Anyone have front and rear spring options for a 75 Torino?  351w with iron heads and no AC.  I did buy a set of the Little Shop upper control arms and energy suspension bushing set.  I am looking for a lower ride height than stock.  It has close to 500 hp so I want a performance ride but comfortable.  I see a lot of info on these pages, but not a lot for 74 and up and frankly, I need some help choosing.  Thanks much!!
Cheers,

Chris

1975 Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2018 at 5:33PM
chris FWIW i have a 74 with a windsor no a/c i cut a half a coil off my stock springs works great for me Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 2:44AM
Like John said, cutting your existing coils might be an option.  I've done that on several cars without issue.  That's an easy task with our front springs.  Start with a half coil.  See how much of a drop you get, then go from there.  I've cut a full coil from a few of my cars, which gave me about a 1.25" to 1.5" drop.  However, cutting our rear coils might be a challenge.  They are tapered on the ends, so you will have to heat them to re-taper them. 

Another option is Eaton.  For my '76 Montego wagon, I purchased 2" drop springs from them. 

Trying to find a "stock" off-the-shelf type of spring that will give you a drop will be difficult.  I tried that without much luck.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 6:27AM
Once again, I take a peek on my thread and holy-hole-in-a-donut Batman, this thread is crazy.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 6:48AM
All the spring information from this thread and more has been compiled here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/torino-spring-specifications-oem-and-aftermarket_topic16862.html

There is also a thread on different stances with different springs here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/coil-spring-stance-photos_topic16869.html

For a 75 Torino you can try Moog 8002 for a close to stock spring rate. These can but cut to lower the stance but will require some trial and error. There is a photo of a 75 Torino in the Photo stance thread with these springs installed uncut.

If you want stiffer than stock then go with Moog 80090. Start with half a coil cut and go from there until you get your desired stance.

If you want lower than stock rear springs you have to get custom springs from Eaton or someone else.

Read over the threads I posted. Things are much more clear compared to this thread.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 23-March-2018 at 12:02PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 6:51AM
Thanks Vince. I actually have been considering replacement of my rear springs but not sure yet. Using 75-76 moog replacements for a Thunderbird!
simon455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2018 at 5:46AM
did anyone managed to come up with a off shelf rear spring @ a rate of 200lb or close that would lowers the car 1.5-2" 
72 pro touring fastback
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2018 at 4:34PM
There are no off the shelf springs that will lower the rear of the car any significant amount.  Almost all are pretty well stock height, with some minor variation depending on what it's installed on.

All the spring data from this thread is summarized here:

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Dubz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2020 at 4:26AM
Looks like our CC807 option may no longer be an option from Moog.  Summit just sent me an email on my order that the CC807 is no longer available from the manufacturer. I couldn't order the CC803's when I placed the order, so they may be getting phased out too.
1974 Gran Torino in flat black 351W/C6
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2020 at 8:44AM
I don't know what is available now, but I chose my front springs by researching the available springs in the index of a spring book. There was a chart with all spring dimensions, and spring rates. I ended up with one pair that were a good bit stiffer, and I cut off about 1.5 coils IIRC. The rear springs are a whole different monster, you have to rely on what is out there, which will bolt in(can't cut the springs).
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2020 at 12:16PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

I don't know what is available now, but I chose my front springs by researching the available springs in the index of a spring book. There was a chart with all spring dimensions, and spring rates. I ended up with one pair that were a good bit stiffer, and I cut off about 1.5 coils IIRC. The rear springs are a whole different monster, you have to rely on what is out there, which will bolt in(can't cut the springs).

If you're careful, you can cut and reform the coil spring ends, I did just that for my Ranchero.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2020 at 4:55AM
Interesting, good to hear. I bought an air bag kit 25+ years ago which is made to go inside the springs IIRC. I figured those might be helpful enough given the right spring rate etc. I'll look into all of this harder when I get to the suspension work.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 8:50AM
Anyone had any luck finding springs at all? Trying to find springs for my brother's 66 Galaxie and Moog appears to be out of the spring business
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2021 at 10:39AM
RockAuto still has Moog springs.  Which ones are you looking for?  Stock or something else?

You can also cross a Moog part number to another manufacture like AC/Delco, or Husky Spring.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2021 at 1:28PM
He has spacers and air shocks in it now and is looking for bigger than stock.
He knows about everyone in town auto parts wise and hasn't been getting anywhere.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Exodus BKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exodus BKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2021 at 3:04AM
Has this been translated to SBW for 72-76? I realize how long this thread is, hoping to get an additional sticky for newer springs available - Coilovers etc. 

I am going to change the stance and replace strut and coil or may simply go coilover. 

I'd like to renew this thread and create a cheat sheet for members running 302's / 351's without without all the additional components. 

Is anyone interested in rebooting this?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2021 at 9:56AM
Originally posted by Exodus BKG Exodus BKG wrote:

Has this been translated to SBW for 72-76? I realize how long this thread is, hoping to get an additional sticky for newer springs available - Coilovers etc. 

I am going to change the stance and replace strut and coil or may simply go coilover. 

I'd like to renew this thread and create a cheat sheet for members running 302's / 351's without without all the additional components. 

Is anyone interested in rebooting this?

This thread has been summarized.  If you read the very first post on this thread, you will see the summary is here:

If you have new findings, add them to this thread and I will add them to the summary thread.  There is also a stance thread that shows different spring/tire setups with different engines bodystyles. 

Most of the aftermarket coilovers that I have seen for these cars are junk.  They use the shock mounts.  I am only aware of one member who fabbed up some proper coilovers.

Just as a reminder, we have tons of reference info already compiled on this forum.  Most of it is in the Technical Articles and Reference Section of the forum.  
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2022 at 5:32PM
As I sit here unpacking old catalogs and digging through old notes, moment of somber comedy:
Just a moment of old notes I dug up, unpacking boxes and my old Moog suspension coil spring catalog and found the old letters on our spring discussion.
I had a discussion going with a long deceased member John Minadakis out of Canada, believe his handle was 460Interceptor here back June 2009. Back then we were mailing stuff back and forth. 
We were wondering what use of a Moog 6101 would ride like...these springs were spec stuff for the old truck arm GM's in 1972.
And with a spring rate of 389 inch/pounds, load of 1700 pounds per spring...I don't think I'd have fillings if I tried those springs LOL

Before everyone that has ever commented on this thread gets the email notification and thinks "Oh NOW what" just a moment of amusement.

brandonc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2022 at 4:04AM
FYI

moog p/n 80090 at napa, midwest usa..........is now un-obtainium
brandon

73 gran torino fastback
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2022 at 6:56AM
It seems Moog springs in general are becoming unavailable in general as supply dries up.  If you cross reference Moog part numbers it to other brands and you can likely find some.  

Here is a Husky page below.  Just enter in a Moog part number in the search bar to cross-reference to their catalog.

https://www.huskyspring.com/

Husky is SC20102RAD

Mevotech cross references to SMS80090 (RockAuto has them)

LESJĂ–FORS 4127547 (RockAuto also lists them)

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2022 at 6:19PM
I would give Husky a shout, they answer their phones and decent guys. They are not making the coil springs however. They purchase from a facility out of Mississippi that is making springs for the automotive market. 
Same as Eaton, according to Husky. They both specialize in making their own leaf springs but coil springs are rebranded from a discussion I had a month and half ago. So, this is just an "for what it's worth" deal. 

I also noted that my Mevotech springs I snagged off RockAuto, had plain white labels covering up Moog part numbers and info. Both sets were made in USA.

Thanks for posting up that info Vince. 

(Also, don't shoot me for posting on my old spring thread. I imagine everyone that got a notification was like "Really Andrew, ANOTHER spring post??!"LOL )

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2024 at 8:39AM
I am checking on possibly putting new rear springs on my car and checked Eatons site.  Though it doesn't give rate specs they do show their springs seem reasonably priced.

Also curious if anyone else has gotten the Eaton springs.  thanks - Dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2024 at 12:06AM
Try emailing Eaton for the specs.  If you get them, please post them here.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2024 at 8:12AM

David,

Thank you for your inquiry. The standard duty is a constant rate spring with a rate of 183.

The HD spring is a variable rate spring with a mean rate of 192.

So we both can keep track of the solution we are working on for you, can I ask you to be sure to include all our email with your response?

Who else do you know who we can help?

Thank You
Mike

EATON Detroit Spring, Inc.

Phone 1-313-963-3839
Fax      1-313-963-7047
www.eatonsprings.com
mike@eatonsprings.com

This is their info.

Dave - 1973 GTS N code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920