The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sticking ignition... and other scariness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sticking ignition... and other scariness
    Posted: 19-December-2009 at 11:58AM
I started my Cougar for the first time in a month today... a bunch of odd stuff happened:

1.) It went immediately to low idle (and stalled twice, not surprisingly). I had adusted the low idle down a touch, but never touched the high idle or choke or anything... any ideas? Once warmed up it ran like a dream.

2.) The ignition switch stuck in the "start" position each time I had to start it! I had to manually rotate it out of the "start" position to get the starter to disengage! That's terrifying, I've never seen that happen on a car. The ignition rotated in the steering column like it was made of molasses; is this just because it's cold, or could something be sticking? Is there any kind of lubricant I can squirt in there without shorting something out?

3.) I confirmed that hose clamps are far too scientific for the average mechanic: Psquare, that little coolant puddle you noted in my engine photo? Well, it didn't grow, but my lower radiator hose connection virtually exploded! There was (is, actually) brand new coolant all over the floor of my garage. God was I mad! I'm going to the shop that did it for me first thing tomorrow to let them know, and they'd BETTER be willing to refill it/repair it for free. That was a $100 service, and one that a trained monkey can - sorry, should be able to - do! My T/A had a coolant swap done about a month before that, and it's got a bit of a drip, too (different shop did it). I didn't think this was rocket science...

This Cougar is definitely not as rock-solid as my T/A, although I still love it to death LOL
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2009 at 12:22PM
1. The high idle/choke could be frozen a little. Hit it with carb cleaner.
2. Mine did this! I Had the ignition switch out and teh actual ignition, I lubed both, and the rotating piece in the column, and it's 'better'.
3. What was it, the hose clamp was loose?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2009 at 10:33AM
Okay, looks like it's time for a new rad: after checking the level this morning - which equalized pressure and allowed more to leak out - I confirmed that the drips are not coming from either hose, so I have to apologize to the rad flush folks :). However, I peered down between the fan and the rad and saw a big wet spot - two, actually! - on that face of the rad, one at the bottom where the spewage was noted. Ugh.

Can anyone tell me

a.) Where the drain plug is on that rad?

b.) Are there standard aftermarket rads that fit (nothing fancy needed - it's a stock 302, after all!)

c.) Are there any complications in removing it? It looks like you remove the shroud, the transmission lines, the rad hoses and the two dog-bone clamps, and out she comes; is it that "easy"?
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2009 at 10:47AM
Drain plug should be on the right/passenger side of the radiator, beneath the fan shroud. I'd jack the drivers side front corner up, so the coolant doesn't dribble out the core support all over.

Yes. I usually go with radiatorbarn.com Check autozone/rockauto.com as well.

C. The shroud and fan need to be unbolted, if I remember right. But, yup, you said it.
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2009 at 11:17AM

The Chilton manual said that I may need to unbolt the fan... I was hoping that was just for the bigger motors, though :(. Oh well, it's only 4 or five more bolts, eh? Are they tough to reach? They're kinda close to the rad.

Thanks for the pointers on the radiator sellers, too.

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2009 at 4:12PM
Nah, the bolts are easy, they are on the front of the fan at the center.
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply