The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lifter replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifter replacement
    Posted: 02-June-2004 at 7:35PM

Recently I've had some tapping occuring, it was coming and going for a while, but now it seems to be constant, and getting louder. I suspected either a valve or lifter. A competent mechanic took a listen and he seems to think it's a bad lifter.

I was planning on switching the cam anyway, but since funds are an issue at the moment, I'm just going to replace the lifters. Any advice as to how this is done would be helpful. (I have rebuilt a couple engines before, but never a Ford).

72 GTS Q code, 351c 4v, 4 speed

Thanks folks!

The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2004 at 5:34AM

just for the hell of it, have you checked the pushrods too see if they're all straight?!!!!??? i have bent a pushrod or two in the quest for power!!! i have a tapping sound too on my torino,but i figure it has allot of miles on it, when its cold it's quiet but when it warms up i hear the clicking! all ways check the simple/cheap stuff first!

Ernesto

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
guilf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2004 at 2:15AM

That's good advice, and i will check. Fortunately, replacing all the lifters is fairly inexpensive, although not the easiest job.

My biggest concern is adjusting rocker/valve stem clearances once the lifters are in place. I have an old 73 manual (car is a 72) that seems to go into good detail, but I'm still dubious.

On a chevy 400, we tightened the rocker nut while spinning the pushrod, and when we could no longer spin the pushrod with fingers, we called it done. Anyone else try this trick before?

Anyway, any advice is much appreciated. 

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2004 at 6:21AM
Well that's not the way you do it on a Cleveland. You put the cylinder at tdc and you torque the bolt to 21ft lbs. There is no adjustment beyond that. Pretty simple if you ask me. So much for small block Chevies LOL!      
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
guilf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2004 at 5:41AM

Ok, new problem.

All the new lifters are in. Everything is back exactly as it was (you would think). There really wasn't much to remove. No bent pushrods. I soaked the lifters in oil, and put engine lube on them and in the bores. I torqued the rocker nuts, torqued the intake, hooked the carb up just like it was.

Now the car won't go. Seems to run smooth till about 1500 rpm, then it's just all hesitation. It just doesn't want to go above 1500 rpm.

What did I do?   HELP!          I know, I know, amateur.........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2004 at 11:22AM
Hesitation as in engine miss? Like maybe a plug wire could be crossed up? How long did you let it run? Hopefully long enough to pump up the lifters? Double check all of these items and check the rockers to make sure nothing is loose.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

guilf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2004 at 5:05AM

Nope, not missing. All wires are good. I only removed the distributor cap, left all the wires plugged in. It starts right up.

I gave it about 15 minutes at 2000 rpm to break it in. In neutral it doesn't seem too bad, but does hesitate above 2000. But as soon as it's in gear, it gives out, nearly stalls, almost like it's being starved of gas. It's not too bad in first gear, but second it really cuts out. Never get a chance to get to third.

I'll check the rockers again, but I was careful to torque all twice.

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2004 at 7:48PM

Check for a kinked fuel line, or perhaps the fuel pump finally gave up..  (or a clogged fuel filter)..  (assuming you're running a meghcanical pump on the engine)

Remove the fuel line from the carb and put it in a container and crank the engine to see if you have a good output (disable ignition so you don't start the car, or worse, a fire)

Good luck,

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2004 at 10:21AM
  Your fuel sending unit in the tank has a strainer or little filter on the end of it,after a while the will deteriorate and collapse shutting the fuel flow. I had to replace mine last year. Also it is available from Ford still. You can still get the metal float as well.

Post Reply Post Reply