The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972 - 1979 Body Insulator Bushings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2010 at 11:38AM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

Guys, maybe this thread needs splitting into radiator mounts and body mounts. Two completely different animals here.

With respect to a 72 GTS I'm interested in what to do about body mounts. My body is going back on the frame in about three weeks and I will need to solve this problem for sure. Unlike most of you it seems I do not have access to a salvage yard to walk around in and compare parts.

A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have the body diagrams shown at the start of the thread with the thicknesses of the mounts? I can't seem to make out the thicknesses.

2) The Crown Vic body mounts - they work but in some places might be 1/8" to 1/4" too thick? 

3) I understand the mounts that are between the frame and the body. What is inside the frame?  When I removed my body what was inside the frame was so badly rotted I can't tell how thick they were nor what they really looked like.

Jim

Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2010 at 12:40AM
Excellent Jim!

I have a question about your example and used your photo to assist. The thick blue line represents the top of the frame rail.

A couple of questions:

1) Do I have the basic idea correct?

2) Do I need the "top" washer, the one that would go between the body and the mount?

3) Is there enough access from the bottom to actually get the lower mount into the frame? I don't remember the holes being that large but I also don't know how big a round these pieces are.

04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2010 at 5:06AM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

Excellent Jim!

I have a question about your example and used your photo to assist. The thick blue line represents the top of the frame rail.

A couple of questions:

1) Do I have the basic idea correct?

2) Do I need the "top" washer, the one that would go between the body and the mount?

3) Is there enough access from the bottom to actually get the lower mount into the frame? I don't remember the holes being that large but I also don't know how big a round these pieces are.

The nut and washer in RED is not used when mount is installed. I used it for illustration only. (Yellow) rubber mount will be between the frame and body. BLUE circle is the under frame mount. I have it in the rear location, but it will fit perfectly through all frame holes. BLUE line is the frame. If you look carefully at the mount in yellow circle, you can see the silver steel sleeve. That is what goes between the body and this mount. 
Jim

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2010 at 7:28AM
Hey Andy... IMO, you sure they aren't supposed to bulge like that OEM? If the height is correct and it doesn't move........ *shrug*

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 1:59PM
I don't know.
One of my problems I am having...the front end of the front clip seems like it's move a hell of a lot.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2011 at 5:31PM
If anyone is interested I decided to take a shot using 68-72 Chevelle body mount bushings. The size is a decent match. I didn't have to trim anything but I did have to prep 4 spares (?) that came with the kit so I had 10 matching ones. Should know all there is to know next weekend.
Chuck  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2012 at 5:42PM
I am in need of radiator core support bushings, the ones on my Ranchero are totally trashed.  Any recomendations?
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 3:32AM
Yeah, read the "update" post
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 9:13PM
Fixed the broken links on my debacle.
inserted images.

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2012 at 9:53AM
Anyone have pics using with the Energy suspension bushings mounted on their car?   

I'm working on replacing the bushings right now and noticed that the over all height is different and so shimming to align will be necessary.  Problem is...now where do I get the shims?   The old bushing stack has a large spacer with a couple shims.

Right now...waiting for paint to dry...argh   90%+ humidity sure slows things down.

-john
-John
1973 GTS
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2012 at 4:39PM
John, best bet is to try a place like tractor supply,etc for shim stock. You can get large washers reasonable there.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2012 at 7:45PM
fender washers can usually be specified by hole size, outside diameter and thickness

any local fab shop should be able to whip out some square shims of varing thickness, the trick is to punch the holes before you go to the shear Wink
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12