The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad fuel pump?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad fuel pump?
    Posted: 11-June-2004 at 2:00PM
My Torino ran fairly well last week, and now it's not getting any fuel after installing new transmission lines. I pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and it's not getting any at that point. I then pulled the line off of the pump. It doesn't pour out of there either. I attribute that to the car being on a slight grade. Reading a previous thread makes me wonder if the fuel level sender filter is clogging it up though. Also, I put my finger over the input of the pump while it was being cranked. There was just a slight vacuum on it, nowhere near what I'd expect from, say, a vacuum line. How hard is a mechanical fuel pump supposed to suck? Thanks.
75 Torino 351W project
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2004 at 7:09PM
Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Most of the time the screen on the sender will act up under load, the car will start but not run well at all. Do you know if any of these two items has been changed in the past?Shop manual says fuel psi should be 5-7lbs psi @ 500 rpm.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
kenshi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2004 at 12:45AM
I doubt they've been changed any time recent, if at all. The previous owner before me only drove it about a month, and the one before that was an old man that never drove more than 40. Plus the car did sit for about a year before I got it. I'll probably pick up another fuel pump next chance I get.
75 Torino 351W project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2004 at 1:00AM
Yes, that would be a good idea! That pump is dried up  
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

kenshi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2004 at 2:04PM
Well I got the fuel pump and it did a whole lot of nothing. Back to the drawing board. The strange thing is that when I crank on it, I can smell gas, but I can't find any anywhere. I can't believe it cranked once and ran fine and now it just stopped. Any ideas?
75 Torino 351W project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2004 at 5:47PM
Sounds like you are going to have to pull the sending unit to see if the filter is plugged. When I pulled mine it was disgusting all plugged up!

kenshi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2004 at 3:39AM
Okay. That's probably what it is. After having it set for a year with no gas in it, I'm sure there's plenty of rust that clogged the filter. I'll know in a few days.
75 Torino 351W project
kenshi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2004 at 8:19AM
Bam! I didn't replace the strainer, but I did take it out and blow through it. I also blew through the fuel lines. Somehow paper had gotten in there. It took a lot of playing with it, but finally it squirted fuel across the engine compartment. For the first time, I drove her (albeit only about 40 feet). Once I repair my radiator, I can drive her for long distances, and once I find some shift linkage bolts, she'll go both directions. [smiles]
75 Torino 351W project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2004 at 6:25AM
Glad to see you are making progress    Hope it gets better!

Post Reply Post Reply