The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'72 Montego GT on eBay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '72 Montego GT on eBay
    Posted: 02-February-2010 at 8:02AM
Here's a good project car for someone and it's loaded.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250572322806&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_807wt_1167
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
SquireCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 10:19AM
There was one just like that less the rust that was for sale in Hesperia Ca. about a month ago, seller was asking $1,000 for it. I had contacted the seller and he said he had a buyer in Texas, which was good for me because my driveway is full.
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 11:19AM

Hey that would be an orsum looking car done up . I really like the “shark gills” on the side .  

1973 Q code sports roof
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 11:42AM
Like I mentioned in my other topic . It will make a great demolition derby car.
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 11:52AM

Originally posted by kenneth kenneth wrote:

I really like the “shark gills” on the side .  

Same here Thumbs Up  It looks real sharp.
I would like to see this great car get restored like the one pictured below.

'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 12:00PM
 The picture of the black montego the side view reminds me of the 69 to 70 mercury marauders .
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 12:06PM
That's a fantastic black montego.  Whose car is it?  Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 12:22PM
 I know for years there was a yellow one for sale in the Montreal area .The owner was asking over $ 20k for it . That car was then put on consignment at a dealer . I think it nevered sold, but I wish I had photo of it. It looked great too.
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 12:35PM
Originally posted by picon3 picon3 wrote:

That's a fantastic black montego.  Whose car is it?  Paul~

This '73 was on eBay last year!!!  Forgot how much it went for though.

'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 12:44PM
 That front may fool you. If you  are strapped in that seat hugs on those hard turns.
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 1:17PM
God that is a beautiful Montego I want it!! Interior is great!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 1:47PM

You can make comparisons with the 72 Torino’s and Montego’s here

http://falconcoupes.tripod.com/read.htm

1973 Q code sports roof
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 3:37PM
I know the yellow car you are talking about and I know the fellow who's family restored that car. He was trying to sell it at Carlisle many years back for $16k ( i have pictures of it on the show field with the For Sale sign & price). Joe from the GT registry has the customized car cover from him. I know it finally sold and now this "collector" in Montreal  has it and wants $35k for when I last spoke to him about 3 months ago. I tried to ask him why he felt it was now worth double when the car has been in storage since completed and nothing had been done to it so he starting trying to tell me how rare it was etc as though I'd never seen one before.
Here is one add for it ( I have loads of other pictures as well) 
http://americandreamcars.com/1973montegogt110708.htm
I told good luck before I hung up.
He's tried to call me back at least 3 times now since that call.

Originally posted by interceptor460 interceptor460 wrote:

I know for years there was a yellow one for sale in the Montreal area .The owner was asking over $ 20k for it . That car was then put on consignment at a dealer . I think it nevered sold, but I wish I had photo of it. It looked great too.

Edited by iangj - 02-February-2010 at 3:48PM
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 3:38PM
There is whole 'nother story on the Black GT!!!!!!!!
My lips are sealed though.
I sure does look great.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 3:59PM
Originally posted by kenneth kenneth wrote:

http://falconcoupes.tripod.com/read.htm

Thats not fair! I'm getting my tickets now for NZ!!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 4:04PM
See you soon then I have dinner on lol
1973 Q code sports roof
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 5:32PM
Man, I would drive the GT as is.
bucket car, too bad it's not a 4 speed.
I dig those GT Montegos.
I had a chance to get one here for $700, but ultimately had to pass it by because I got the '73 GTS.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2010 at 3:10AM
Hopefully someone will pick that car up and restore it.  That car would be really nice and very rare fully restored.  Just don't see '72 Montegos very much if at all anymore.
Fordified V8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordified V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2010 at 4:26PM

Hey Kenneth, I can really start to see the 70-71 Torino body
in those Falcon's the more I look at them.

What years were they produced in Kiwi-ville for you'all ?
70 MACH I "R" code

72 GTS 351CJ

72 TR6

15 F250 Lariat
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2010 at 7:55PM
Hey Scott

The XA XB XC Falcon range was launched in 1972 and went through to 1979 in varying degrees of changes and offerings . In Kiwi-land we had a Ford plant that assembled them up in Auckland in our north island . With New Zealand being Australians "insignificant other" or sister country so to speak ( any Aussie would dispute that ) we have "likeminded" economies and work forces . The Aussie Falcon was considered a large car for families and its only competitor was the Holden ( almost a Chevy ) for its size . the above mentioned Falcons have all become "thin on the ground" now and fetch massive amounts of money even in the Aussie economy .   

I totally understand the resemblance you are pointing out and can only guess we received the tooling or "cues" from you guys  
1973 Q code sports roof
Fordified V8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordified V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 9:25AM
What exactly is your 1973 Q code sports roof?
Was it built out your way?
70 MACH I "R" code

72 GTS 351CJ

72 TR6

15 F250 Lariat
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 10:53AM
What exactly is your 1973  code sports roof?
Was it built out your way?

Hay Scott

I think this is my mistake . I thought my reference above was one that you guys used for a 73 GTS 351CJ but was obviously off the mark . "Sports roof" in reference to the sloping rear rather than the "notch back" and Q code referring to the Q in VIN number to cobra jet .
History of the girl is - One lady owner from new , always garaged then gifted to her obese brother who hardly drove it , He had it parked outside for a length of time and the neighbours complained , he was instructed to do something about the messy car outside by them or the local council so the guy who picked her up for disposal ( crusher ) took it home and cut and polished her to find a fair paint job still under all that crud / mess . Steve Potter ( guy I purchased from in California ) did a few cleanups on her while owning her for 12 months ( ish ) but never painted it , so she has shopping knocks , scratches etc all over her when looking up close , The car failed an "on road inspection" ( we call it a warrant of fitness) due to a big oil leak , Steve disassembled the entire front end to preform a FULL rebuild including brakes , suspension , steering and engine basically everything then ran into financial problems with his business and marketed her on a web site . I was looking for parts for my 1974 Torino at the time and stumbled onto it .
I have pictures here , if you click on my name ( top left of this "thread" ) it will drop down to find my old posts for you to have a look at . I just have difficulty with loading pics sorry .
1973 Q code sports roof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2010 at 1:22AM
Theres a green 72 montego listed on the 1972 torino section on ebay.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2010 at 1:54AM
That car has been listed at least 5 times that I'm aware of. I really wonder why it didn't sell. Looks to be an easy fix. Only 5820 made in '72
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
 Post Reply Post Reply