The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

difference between / how to id

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: difference between / how to id
    Posted: 24-March-2010 at 8:49AM
what is the difference between the 429 and the 460?

how can you id the the two engines?  Are there any key identifying features to look for?
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2010 at 10:00AM
They look the same the difference is crank and pistons. The 460 has a 3.86 inch stroke the 429 3.58 inch. Casting numbers on the crank , block and heads give an idea  of what engine and year it was produced. You can remove a spark plug and place a copper wire about 6 inches long. With a 15/16 inch socket and a long handle rachet have someone measure how far down the wire goes as the crank turns.Make sure you have a long wire tied with a string not to go fishing for a wire down a cylinder.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2010 at 10:39AM
That would be 3.850 stroke for a 460 and 3.590 for a 429. 

There's no external difference to indicate if the engine is a 429 or 460, at least before 1979.  Both the 429 and 460 were offered with 2bbl's and 4bbl's, with or without crank driven power steering, etc.  In later years, Ford changed to an external balance style crank which will have a hatchet weight behind the balancer.  The casting number on the block will be D9TE for these engines.  429's were not produced with an external balance weight....but several aftermarket nodular irion stroker cranks are.

Markings on the crank will be 2Y for an internal balance 460, 3Y for an external balance 460, and 4U for a 429.

Edited by Carl - 25-March-2010 at 10:44AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2010 at 11:49AM
Carl is correct ,sorry.   If you find a D0VE-A block or D0OE-B blocks they are CJ blocks with thicker main webbing and 4 bolt mains. Only early cj blocks were 2 bolt type and have the cast number C9VE-A and 2 bolt version of the D0VE-A. The deck heights were 10.30 inches. After 1971 the blocks had a taller deck height plus a larger combustion chamber . This is to lower compression ratios for regular an then unleaded fuel.I own 2 bolt cj ,4 bolt scj and a 74 pi blocks. They are all a good start for an engine build up. The D9TE engines are found in buses or trucks. They come with cj type rods . They have a football shape to the top of the bolt.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2010 at 12:37PM
Personally, I find the D9TE blocks to be most desirable because they have longer cylinder bores which adds stability to the piston at BDC in stroker applications.  Other than that, I could care less about 2-bolt, 4-bolt, thick web, thin web, etc.  If you're making too much power for a two bolt block (of any kind) you need an aftermarket block.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 10:15AM
The price I got the engines or cars ,you would not hesitate to buy them. I got a cj engine for $275 and a scj car running the car though was an insurance write off. Meaning the car was hit and was decleared scrap. I picked it up before it got crushed. And talking about after market blocks my brother will have up for sale the SVO 429 boss. From aries root with boss heads, He has never placed an ad on ebay . And will sell a few small items and see the out come before it goes to auction.
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 10:42AM
well this is a little help,   I am going to be acquiring either a 429 or 460,   its believed to be a 460.  But not 100% sure.    the engine is not in a vehicle.     I am not sure where to go from there?   bother in building a good engine and in just Identifying exactly what I have.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 9:35AM
thanks guys as I have to ID the motor in the 72 Q code I just bought this should help
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 1:17PM
So I have an internally balanced motor does that meen it's a 429
there is no balancer on the outside of the engine just the front bottom pully.
 Post Reply Post Reply