The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GOODBYE EGR! ...but how?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimlin077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GOODBYE EGR! ...but how?
    Posted: 14-July-2004 at 12:48AM

I am finally hauling the damn EGR stuff off my engine. Or i am going to once i find out what parts need to go. Does anyone know of a webiste/book/information of their own on where to start and how to remove EGR related items?

Also what parts will i need to get in order to "block" ( or cap off ) holes where EGR items where?

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can not hear the music."

"The following statment is true;the preceding statement is false."
                -George Carlin
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 6:38AM
Simple get an intake that is non EGR and unplug the wires for the solenoid valve and eliminate a lot of vaccum lines.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
krimlin077 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimlin077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 7:26AM

with the nonEGR intake, will that cover the holes i open up? I know there are kits out there that come with "plates" to block off areas that the EGR was at, will i still need those...and do i need to block off the vacuum lines or can those stay open?

i read a few websites that posted things on how to remove them and they all had kits, but didnt add a new intake. I know Edelbrock has intakes that i am looking at ( nonEGR) but icant find anything that says that the intake will cover what i remove. Thanks again!

-George Carlin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 8:09AM
When I removed the EGR on my 73 I changed to an Edelbrock alum. intake with no EGR. Did away with the egr spacer plate and anything related to it. I rerouted my vaccum lines and eliminated what I didn't need. The intake has worked fine for at least 25yrs. now! The only holes are in the old intake.     
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

krimlin077 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimlin077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 11:31PM
thanks alot, atleast i am hearing this from someone with an edelbrock one like i am planning! Thanks alot for you input and i will keep this in mind.

-George Carlin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 11:38PM
Hey, where are you looking to get these parts? Im all interested now... oh and krimlin077 you rock man! Thanks for all the help and info, i do plan on keeping this car, and go us! The only 4 door '73 owners here, we rule    But yeah, if you could let me know where you get your preformence parts it would be great.
torino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2004 at 8:36PM

hello,

Well you don't mention what is your engine, but i will assume you have a 351M/400 here. If you have a 351C, i don't see EGR intake manifold listed on the edelbrock's Website.

Here is the best setup for you & Why. First Off, Get an Edelbrock #3771 EGR Intake manifold (Yup, EGR) Because the design is better than the Non-EGR Counterpart. And The Carburetor Mounting Flange is better and larger, providing better Carb-to intake Sealing which is a lot less prone to Vacuum leaks. The EGR Intake can Be used with or without EGR, only thing you need is an adapter especially made for this by Edelbrock themselfs. you will get all the plugs you need when you buy the intake, only part you will have to buy is the non-EGR Adapter plate edelbrock part #8714 that is assuming you are running a 4V carb, if not then what are you waiting for? Going 4 Barell is probably the single one upgrade that will show great performance results over the standard 2V. If you still want to keep the 2V, then the adapter is already included with the intake, so no other parts to buy. You are at an advantage buying the EGR manifold, Because it is very versatile and if you ever choose to put back your old EGR setup on for whatever reason, Then you will not have to buy that special 4V EGR manifold.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2004 at 7:14AM

Why anyone would want to use an EGR intake is beyond me. The object is to keep the fuel mix cooler not mixing exhaust gases to heat it up. I am using the Edelbrock 3514v intake which is very similar to the performer. Edelbrock has a 3512v for clevelands with 2bbl heads. It accepts a 4bbl carb. Believe me I have had 4 different intakes on my Torino and the one I have now is the best  intake I have used yet. It is what you would want street and strip applications!

torino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2004 at 10:27AM

Why EGR? simple, you might be ok right now without EGR but if your state ''decides'' you have to Go EGR in the next few years and have to pass emissions ala california, then you will Have to buy that EGR Intake. Besides, what's wrong using An EGR intake With the proper Adapter For non-EGR operation? and you Talk about 351C intake, i'm talking about 351M intake here, Way different  Design and you have only 2 flavor at edelbrock EGR (3771) and non EGR (2771) and my point was that the EGR Version is a better Design (Flow Wise) and carb mounting flange. There was other Single plane streetmaster, torquemaster , etc .. in the past for the 351M /400 but these are long gone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2004 at 10:55AM
Arizona has tougher emission laws tha Ca. If you have 73 vehicle in Ca. you don't even need to pass a test! In Az I have to pass a sniffer test every year! And EGR is not checked all!! What I am saying applies to 351C engines not modifieds! Dual plane intakes work the best for all around performance on a 351C engine. Why mess with adapters if you don't have to? Another thing the dweebs at the emission station don't have a clue as to what they are looking at on a 73 vehicle,because the car has been around longer then they have!!! IMHO  

Post Reply Post Reply