The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to mount console brackets???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to mount console brackets???
    Posted: 08-June-2010 at 8:24AM
Hey guys, does anybody have pictures of where the center console is supposed to mount on a 77-79 LTD II sport ?? I have all the brackets but don't want to drill multiple holes until I get the EXACT location just right. I need some good pics of the bare floor and brackets mounted where they belong from the factory. Here are two pics of what I'm trying to do. I know the brackets aren't sitting perfect but maybe somebody can help. I really wanna mount my original ford bucket seats in there and I can't bolt them in until I have the holes drilled from the sides for the two rear brackets and long middle bracket drilled from the top. Also the raised "L" stamped into the tunnel seems to be in the way a bit. Thanks for any and all feedback. This was a bench car but making the upgrade.

78 LTD II sport touring edition
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2010 at 8:59AM
Take the brackets, mount them *to the console*. Put some double sided tape under the console brackets.. push down on the console, where it goes in the car... remove console, bracket stay in place. drill. done :)
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2010 at 1:22PM
OK but how will I know where the console is supposed to sit exactly if I do that. Do I just say,"that looks about right where it sits there?" Sorry but I'm not completely comfortable with that method(too far forward-too far back.)
Does anybody have a picture they can share. Somebody musta had one of these cars taken apart past the carpet to complete a resto. Looking for a car that came with console from the factory.
I did figure out one piece of the puzzle. I see that the long mount screws on top of the center tunnel bracket but that still doesn't tell me exactly where it's supposed to sit. The center bracket doesn't seem to fit well if I just eye it up.

Edited by 78sport - 08-June-2010 at 9:27PM
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2010 at 5:12PM

This is the best can do for you right now. Its still in dynamat right now so i will take a good look at it tomorrow and take a few more pics if you can wait 
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2010 at 5:44PM
DO YOU HAVE A FLOOR SHIFTER FROM THE FACTORY67yyu7?  IF YES, USE THAT. 

If not... sorry, I've had two cars with floor consoles... and they weren't exact in their bracket positioning! You have about 1" to play with, without a floor shifter, IMO. Unfortunately, Ford didn't divet the floor pans from what I've seen.. The brackets are wide enough that the installer had plenty of room to play with to make sure the console was straight and parallel to the sill plates.. I can measure mine if you like, but the measurements are based off the seats

You are also missing the front 'tongue' bracket. 

Looking at your pics, I think your brackets are in the wrong place. These pics are all I have from when I did my 78 Cougar. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2010 at 5:55PM
If I can remember correctly. the middle bracket in your pic has to be turned 180* and put where the tall bracket is. The tall bracket sits on top of it and uses the wide mounting points. The rear bracket then mounts back a predetermined lenght
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2010 at 5:56PM
Your tall bracket may need to be turned 180* aswell but im not 100% sure of that right now
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2010 at 8:57PM
Yes, thanks guys for your support. I just wanted to see some mounted and that is good enough Psquare. I spent some time today trying to find home for the brackets. I mounted the driver bucket in the car and bolted it down. I then set the console on the floor while the seat was all the way back. I toyed around with lining up the rear of the console with where the back of the seat was to make it flush. I see how the puzzle fits together now. Yes I had them way off in the pics haha. I was lining up brackets and also noticed about the tall bracket being screwed into the top of the larger tunnel bracket. I believe my middle bracket is the wrong style because your's looks wider Psquare. No wonder I couldn't find how it fit on the tunnel because it's from a different car. Believe me, I thought they were all the same from these years but it appears I have a slightly different center bracket(the larger of the two)but I can probably bend it some and mount it anyway. How is your center bracket attached? The guy I bought the blue buckets and matching console from said they came out of some kind of lincoln. I thought to myself,"bucket seats in a 70's lincoln?" They are the same blue vinyl around the outer rims and the sides but have a striped fabric in the center areas.
I do have the front tongue bracket but didn't have it in the picture for a close up of basic location. My slot is broken up in front anyway so I'm not sure about making a new slot above the old slot location and bending the front tongue a bit to fit. The plastic seems slightly thicker above the old slot location anyway so maybe it will work. Last time I tried to make new holes in another console I had to mount the black compartment, the buyer of that console was disappointed because he said he could fix the plastic with some chemical melding process rather than drilling new holes. I told him sorry for that, I didn't know.
One last question is how the courtesy light plugs into the car wiring. I didn't seem to find a hook up unless one goes to ground and the other plugs into the mystery terminal near where the driver's feet would be on the floor wiring. Maybe I'm missing a small section of harness for factory style installation? Thanks again guys for your help. I'm going to use the pics combined with my own application to get it the best I can. I also noticed there is a slight cut-away in the console to fit over a brace that travels over the hump. Like you said it has about an inch either way to ride in that "slot." I realize my expectations were set a bit high at first. Embarrassed Sorry, I also forgot to mention I don't have a floor shifter. It's on the column with the tilt wheel.

Edited by 78sport - 08-June-2010 at 9:20PM
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2010 at 2:52AM
Ahhh. ok. Sorry Smile. I saw the name 78Sport and assumed floor shifter. There were some Mark Vs with a floor console. RARE but they did exist (no floor shifter lol). The center bracket just has typical Ford sheet metal screws on either side screwed to the floor pan.

As for the front tongue slot, Mine was broken as well. My solution was to take a piece of sheet metal and create a "U" that was the same width on the bottom of the "U" as the plastic that was broken. I screwed each upright of the "U" to the console with some sheet metal screws. (Who knew a U had so many parts? bad joke. Confused). You cannot see it when installed in the car, I assure you. Even if you have your head at the gas pedal, poking up under the dash to undo a brake light switch, you can't contort in a way to see it. LOL
Paul
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2010 at 6:20AM
Hmm OK, must have been one of those Mark 5's where these buckets/console came from. I did look for a floor shifter but couldn't find a decent one in the salvage yards up here and all the good ones online were out of my price range. The bracket in question mounts over the top of that extra brace on the hump. I'll just bend and angle mine until it fits decent and adjust the height if need be. It looks like I'll have to shorten my center bracket because it's same height as the rear bracket right now but has to mount on top of that raised tunnel brace. I keep looking at your cougar floor pic and see it looks shorter and slightly different on the sides too.  
I was thinking the same at first about the front of the console. I was going to put a metal plate behind the plastic there to match the original shape of the slot and then use aluminum pop-rivets to make it neat. I figured nobody would see it. I think I'll go with your option versus making another slot above the old one. I heard from others that most of these consoles liked to break right there. Do I get a consolation prize when it's done? haha  Thanks for consoling me about my struggles haha, ok enough with my bad jokes.
Rainin here today(blah) and the car doesn't fit too well in the garage. Looks like it's on hold for a couple days. Thanks again Psquare and 302ford. I'll get er dun Clap

Edited by 78sport - 09-June-2010 at 6:32AM
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2010 at 7:15AM
This is the best pic I can grab for you....the dynamat is kinda masking everything.
My front mount is nearly the same hight as the rear( could be 1/8-1/4 inch shorter than the rear) its tough to tell. The spacing between the mounting holes is 9 1/4 inches apart
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2010 at 11:59AM
It's DYNOMIIIIITE!!!! oops dynomat sorry for the flashback. I watched too much TV re-runs back then.
By the looks of it, there are screws attaching your bigger mount on the sides of the mount versus the ends like the smaller rear mount. I have the wrong mount for the middle but have to make it work. I was mostly looking for pics of the mounting screws on the bigger center mount. I see some screws there where the dynomat doesn't cover and they look like some forward of the mount instead of on the sides closest to the car doors(on the end of the mount)
I will have to bend my larger mount to make it not so tall and then put the screw holes where they seem to fit. I'll just modify my incorrect mount. Thanks again guys, input is always appreciated.
I just got back from motor vehicle dept. and the car is now on the road. I better get it together inside and cruise it for the summer while having a for-sale sign in the window.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2010 at 1:04PM
Here is another picture for you. From my MGT.

Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2010 at 6:02PM
Yes, see that's exactly what I'm talking about. See that floor where the absence of the extra raised/rounded brace changes the bracket design. That extra brace travels over the tunnel on our 77-79 LTD II's and others from that era but not the early 70's floor pans. I have the early bracket set from when it didn't have to sit atop that extra brace. The extra brace called for a different mounting pattern of the center console mount and changed the shape of it as well(wider, some screws on a different side? and shorter on one side to sit on the uneven surfaces)
 Does anybody else see what I'm seeing or are my glasses too old?Cool
EXCELLENT picture iangjThumbs Up
Man I had a hellova time getting the passenger side seatbelt bolt out but I won haha. Had to grind two flat/flush surfaces on opposing sides of that round barrel bolt head with my hand angle grinder and then put some super-size vise grips on there. Also had to put a 1-1/2 foot steel pipe on the end of those to get it turning until 3/4 of the way out. Had to keep switchin the vise grip around to the other side and he-manning the grips on there like popeye. GRRRRrrrrEAT!!! frosted flakes

Edited by 78sport - 12-June-2010 at 7:15AM
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2010 at 9:09PM
Yup, I had to shorten the height on that "older" school center mount I had. Made the bends and kept checking fitment. Got it all good n the car is happy. Got console, carpet, buckets, n some trim all done and went for evening cruise. Good to feel summer again. Happened to roll by a festival next town north with tons of old iron drivin around. Have a great cruisin season yall. Next I put that rocker trim back on and maybe fix that whistling water pump. We'll see...
Big smile

Edited by 78sport - 14-June-2010 at 9:01AM
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2010 at 9:07AM
So where does the console compartment light plug into? Is it those two wires near the driver's foot area? One is green/yellow with spade connector and the other is brown wire with bullet connector(ground?) The small harness coming from the console lined right up with a hole in the tunnel support where it clips on to keep it tidy. I just want to confirm my guess of where it appears to plug in.
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 2:31PM
I had to cut out part of this bracket on my 'chero to make the bracket fit.

Jim

78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 5:01PM
I ended up re-bending the center bracket I had. I did a few test fits to make sure I had the height correct. Worked very well and I'm lovin the buckets/console set-up. Gonna plug in that light any day now for cubby-hole illumination. Goin to harborfest tomorrow, it's a summer saturday party tradition for the ol' ford to bring me there n back. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply