The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum Reservoir "soup can"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum Reservoir "soup can"
    Posted: 29-June-2010 at 7:25PM
Ok so for 5 years I have been driving around in my 78 ford LTD II with the vacuum line capped off that leads to the reservoir normally mounted on the driver side wheel well. It was missing but I finally got one and want to have it on there. I see one large line that runs right over where it mounts so I'm assuming it plugs into the larger tube fitting on the can. The other stem sticking out of the can is much smaller and there is no line there to plug into. Can anybody post a pic or tell me where this smaller vacuum hose is supposed to run from? I was guessing it comes from that small circular vacuum junction on top of the firewall because it has one fitting left without a line there and it's capped off. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by 78sport - 30-June-2010 at 5:42AM
78 LTD II sport touring edition
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2010 at 11:47AM
The can should only have one fitting. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2010 at 8:13AM
I wish it only did have one fitting. That would make it easy but here, check these pics out.
Maybe it's a can from a different year/model?

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2010 at 5:10AM
That's not the one your car should have :). Should only have one hose, to a check valve connected to the line going into the HVAC controls. I think I have a pic of the service manual diagram
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2010 at 7:11AM
Shoot, I guess I'll just go without or make this one work somehow. Everything works fine but just takes longer to operate without the reservoir. I'll look into my chilton and haynes manuals(I have both) and maybe they have the vacuum diagram?
tbirdnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbirdnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2011 at 10:54AM
Hi
I would love to buy that soup can from you.Mine only has one nipple comming
fron the can,I need two like yours,I cant find one,This will go on my 1978
thunder.
Thanks alot nice car
RoyTongue
Roy Shields
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2011 at 10:05PM
The white car isn't mine. I sold my blue 78 sport coupe and all the parts I had for it(I kept my custom steering wheel however)  I can no longer enjoy owning a classic ford because I don't have time or money to do so. Someday if I strike it rich(yeah right) I will be on the hunt for a nice Torino GT. I won't be on this site for a long time but thank you to everybody who helped me with technical questions about my 78. I'm unsubscribing from message notifications but I'll check back next year sometime. Cheers everybody and have a pleasant holiday season.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2011 at 8:20PM
Roy-
I have a couple spares if you are looking for one still.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
tbirdnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbirdnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2011 at 10:11AM
Hi
Sure I would like to buy one,I alsso need that small bracket like the one
in the picture.
Thanks alot
Roy
here is my email royashields@comcast.net
Roy Shields
76 cougar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 cougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2011 at 6:02AM
This help?
76 one owner Factory 460/moonroof cougar
1975 ford 2600
97 jeep TJ
96 jeep cherokee
2000 ford f350

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2011 at 11:50PM

I have a question on these things.... The vacuum canister 78sport shows is for the AC vacuum and, if equipped with Cruise, there is another larger can hidden on the driver side wheelhouse back towards the door.

My '76 Torino has the smaller AC can on the top of the wheelhouse and a larger one on the Cruise circuit. When I pulled the roof skin off a donor '76 Cougar, I robbed the canisters off of it because they were in such nice condition and much larger than what was on mine.

My question on these parts is whether bigger is better and if so, why? My guess is the larger cans would hold more vacuum to operate the various systems and with a hotter engine, vacuum might be at a premimum??

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2011 at 1:37AM
Bigger would indeed be better.
Paul
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 11:39AM
Roy-
All the small cans I have, are the dual nipple.
Look on 70's Ford F-series. My '79 has the single on it.
I added a small dual nipple on my truck 2-3 years back, and decided to use one of the big coffee cans I pulled off either an LTD or Lincoln in the last 2-3 years.

I have a bunch of the slimmer coke can sized units, but these are meant for Hvac duty.
I'm running a can off a full size Ford on my GTS
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 1:26PM
If I remember correctly,the motorcraft replacement can had 2 nipples and they gave you a vac cap to plug the extra port on the can if need be.meaning 1 can could fit 2 applications.so I would say all 1 port cans are oem factory.I changed a boat load of these back at the dealership years ago.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
 Post Reply Post Reply